Easier to focus on the mk3 LCD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 27th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Easier to focus on the mk3 LCD?

Can anyone share their experiences?
I use the mk2 with a z-finder and was wondering if the supposedly much better screen of the mk3 makes it an easier job focusing, because that could be a reason for me to upgrade.

A lot? Unnoticeably?

Thanks
Fed
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Easier to focus on the mk3 LCD?

I don't notice any appreciable difference in the MK lll over the MK ll, so I still use my Hoodman CINEMA KIT PRO-Hoodman Corporation

I also use the zoom button, always. After I get focus I flip the Hoodman up and view the shot on the screen.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't notice any appreciable difference in the MK lll over the MK ll, so I still use my Hoodman CINEMA KIT PRO-Hoodman Corporation

I also use the zoom button, always. After I get focus I flip the Hoodman up and view the shot on the screen.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I used to have a 60D which was impossible to focus without using the zoom, but I loved the flipout screen.
The Mark3 is a much better screen, but I do miss my flip-up screen. But same as Charles, I always do a digital zoom in to get a critical focus no matter how good the screen seems to look. Lots of times, even when I have my SmallHD monitor hooked up, I still do a quick zoom in just to be sure. Mostly the focus is right on when using the monitor, but I think it's a good habit to have anyway.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Another approach, the MkIII's claim to fame is its new autofocus capability - and it really is really good. With video I use the Quick Mode, and it is easy to move the spot focus point to exactly where you want in the scene - hold the shutter release or the AF button to focus - and there you are, the part of the scene you want in focus is perfectly focused. For me it's much easier and more accurate than manual focus - and I'm not using the Z finder on the MkIII.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Nice tip Charles!
The AF button will even work while recording which is nice little bonus... as long as you can cut out the little flutter that happens in post.
John Carroll is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD