DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   What's the Maximum heat 5d mark ii or iii ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/509691-whats-maximum-heat-5d-mark-ii-iii.html)

Arthur Abramov July 31st, 2012 03:28 AM

What's the Maximum heat 5d mark ii or iii ?

What's the maximum heat in temperature can the cameras get?

Scott Stoneback July 31st, 2012 04:15 AM

Re: What's the Maximum heat 5d mark ii or iii ?

I don't know specifics, but I've had my M3 give me a heat warning at about 120 degrees f, ambient temperature. It was still running, but not happy. I would guess it to shut down automatically within ten minutes of the warning.

Bill Grant July 31st, 2012 08:44 AM

I've had mine in near 100 for a 20 min ceremony with no issues.

Robert Turchick July 31st, 2012 09:18 AM

It really is a matter of how long the camera is running and exposed. Did a full day shoot last year with a MK2 in 115 deg and between takes we shut it down and kept it covered. takes were only 5 min or so. Saw the temp warning once. Did a different outdoor shoot, same camera in a bit cooler...around 105 but there was no time between takes. Temp warning came on frequently but camera never missed a beat.

Will put the mk3 through the torture test. Should be interesting as it will record continuously quite a bit longer.
Already done a 6 hour continuous shoot (seminar) where I was alternating the start/stop times of two mk3's. Both performed perfectly but it was indoors.

Also did some timelapse over this past weekend in above 100 deg but that's stills not video.

Arthur Abramov August 7th, 2012 02:26 AM

Thanks,

How does it appear on the screen - i mean the warning for heat or the temperature.?
I never had it on my MK3 but i'm interested to know.

Scott Stoneback August 22nd, 2012 10:13 PM

Had the 5dm3 actually shut down finally in very hot ambient temp. I have seen the warning indicator come up before, in about 115degree temp outside, shooting for 20min. Camera still operated.

One time, did sit down interview in 120degree heat and camera running continuous for over an hour. Camera finally shut down in the heat. I touched the bottom, it was really hot. Still worked great up to that point. So, it really needs to run a long time (over 30min) in very hot temps to get to the shut-down point, in my experience.

Josh Rudy October 30th, 2012 04:07 AM

I've run the Mk2 for countless hours in 140ºF heat with no warnings. The body starts to get hot to the touch, but still seems to work just fine.