DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   recorded audio out of sync w/video, even in camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/509779-recorded-audio-out-sync-w-video-even-camera.html)

Josh Bass August 4th, 2012 05:43 AM

recorded audio out of sync w/video, even in camera?

So here's something. I've been working on my first short film using the 5DM2. I captured audio using a TASCAM DR07, pluraleyes to sync with cam mic audio.

To my eyes, on pretty much every clip, all audio is a frame or two out of sync with video. And talent was about 6-8 from cam. At first I thought it was some issue with pluraleyes or 5D2RGB (which I use to make prores files from the H264), but since pluraleyes syncs to the cam audio, is it the cam audio then?

I've had to slide video/audio a few frames to make up for it.

Am I alone in this?

Here has been my general workflow (using FCP 6):

-bring in h264 clips and audio files
-let pluraleyes sync all video/audio
-find good takes, export from FCP to create h264 clips w audio from the recorder.
-open these united h264 clips in 5D2RGB, convert to prores.

I'm sure there are other ways, but this seemed the most logical to me. Otherwise it seems like I'd have to convert all footage to prores, then sync. I didn't want to try to choose the good takes without the "real" audio, or sync everything up manually.

Wondering if there's something in my process that created the problem.

John Carroll August 6th, 2012 08:20 AM

Re: recorded audio out of sync w/video, even in camera?

What about playing back the original h264 files from the camera with orig audio using quicktime?
Is that audio out of sync too?

Josh Bass August 7th, 2012 12:08 AM

to my eyes/ears, it appears so, yes. 1-2 frames.

I mentioned this to a local sound guy on a shoot today and he said he's heard of this issue, the 5D's OWN AUDIO BEING OUT OF SYNC WITH THE CAMERA. Insane.

John Carroll August 8th, 2012 07:07 AM

That is insane!
Sounds like it's time for a trip to the service shop... at least it wasn't operator error!

Josh Bass August 8th, 2012 10:17 AM

Are we saying all 5Ds don't do this?

John Carroll August 8th, 2012 10:58 AM

I don't see it on my Mark 3, I don't have a Mark 2 so I can't comment on that...

Jon Fairhurst August 8th, 2012 11:23 AM

I have a 5D2 purchased in late 2008 and the sync was spot on when using Vegas as the NLE. Then again, I haven't tested it with the latest firmware...

Nigel Barker August 11th, 2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1747455)
Are we saying all 5Ds don't do this?

None that I have heard of apart from yours so either there is a problem with your camera or more likely your workflow. I don't see how you could see that it's out of synch playing back in camera unless you were to hook it up to a large screen using HDMI. If the playback is out of synch on your Mac it's more likely that QuickTime is borked. Try playing back with VLC which uses it's own internal CODEC & not QuickTime. Actually I am surprised that FCP6 handles the 5D native files at all as FCP7 isn't very happy with them & is generally laggy & jerky when scrubbing through the timeline.