DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Newbie @ MK II Videoshoot - Help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/510342-newbie-mk-ii-videoshoot-help.html)

Mahesh Patel August 30th, 2012 10:46 AM

Newbie @ MK II Videoshoot - Help!

Hello - I will be using 5D Mark II for the first time this weekend at a wedding. (video mode)

Can someone please point me out to what settings to put for indoor videoshoot? (shutter speed, iso, picture profile, etc)

The camera currently has factory settings.

I will be using Canon 70-200 and Tamron 28-75
It will be an Indian wedding
I will have monopod and glidetrack

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Buba Kastorski August 30th, 2012 01:26 PM

Re: Newbie @ MK II Videoshoot - Help!

How can one answer a question like this?
Mahesh, even if this is your friend's wedding and you're not getting paid, this is still not nice, you don't shoot people once in a life time event with the camera you don't know, so you have today and tomorrow, go and shoot donkey balls out of that camera so you get to know it as much as you can;
and if you're still not comfortable, stay on tripod as much as you can, use off camera light (small LED on portable stand will do ) to lit every indoor shot, get Rode videomic, or videomic pro, set WB to auto, set profile to neutral if you planning to grade your footage, if not set it to vivid; set camera to aperture priority and stay within f/3.2 - 4.0, focus has to be pulled manually,
this is still not nice, but if you do what i tell you you'll get some decent footage;

Noa Put August 30th, 2012 01:44 PM

More important is; have you ever shot with a dslr? If you have good handicam or bigger videocamera I would suggest to use that instead of the dslr if you have no experience with it and no time to practise, it's easy to get crap footage out of a dslr.
Like Buba said, shoot as much as you can and be close to your pc/laptop so you can see what the results are in the various settings.

Chris Barcellos August 30th, 2012 03:16 PM

OP here has a website where he says he has years of experience, so maybe he is a bit more experienced than his question evidences.

But I will say that if I had two cameras to shoot, one the 5DII and one a standard video camera like a Sony FX1 or a shoulder mount, I would shoot the latter in this circumstance. The exception would be an extremely dark venue. The 5DII is not a camera to shoot solo for event photography. It does not autofocus well, and when you employ auto focus during recording, it is clunky and noisy. It also does not shoot continuously, and if you are not paying attention, you may shoot for minutes thinking your recording, when you are not. If you were going to shoot an all 5D wedding, you should have two to three shooters from different angles to cut well, as well as have separate sound recording covered somewhere.

Just my opinion, but one based on 3 years with the 5DII

Colin Rowe August 30th, 2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahesh Patel (Post 1750655)
Hello - I will be using 5D Mark II for the first time this weekend at a wedding. (video mode)
Can someone please point me out to what settings to put for indoor videoshoot? (shutter speed, iso, picture profile, etc)
I will have monopod and glidetrack

Dont do it, if you have to ask questions like this, you clearly dont have even a basic grasp of how a camera works, or how to use it. Sorry if this seems harsh, but you will be covering a once in a lifetime event, no second chances, use equipment you are comfortable with. You will also need a tripod, a monopod just wont cut it.

Jon Fairhurst August 30th, 2012 05:37 PM

I've shot corporate events solo with the 5D2. The keys are 1) having an additional, normal video camera for capturing a wide angle view, 2) recording sound outside of the 5D2 because it can't record continuously, 3) a good tripod, 4) a long lens with IS, and 5) setting the two cameras to match as closely as possible. With all that, you can get a good semi-pro result, solo, with the 5D. For a fully pro result, add more cameras, operators, and grip gear.

That second camera is critical for coverage when the 5D2 stops and starts recording, loses focus, and whatnot. Without the second camera and external audio recording, you can lose coverage at just the wrong moment. You can't cover up all the potential problems with random B-roll!

Mahesh Patel September 10th, 2012 10:33 AM

Thanks to everyone. I was the 2nd shooter and got some great footage with monopod, glidetrack.