DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   mkiii and glidecam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/510612-mkiii-glidecam.html)

David Bass September 10th, 2012 09:53 AM

mkiii and glidecam

Just did a job with 5d mkiii and glidecam 4000hd.
My normal slowish fluid movements i use 1920 x 1080 25p obeying the rules when shooting 25p

Phillip bloom n others recommend this setting and dont seem to like any other lower resolution setting....BUT

My movements on this particular shoot where a lot more rapid [very brisk walking going past many vertical windows] so I switched to 1280 x 720 50p .This turned out to be smooth n fine but which do you use and why?

especially when flying the mkiii

Both formats were in All-i

Kris Koster September 13th, 2012 03:42 PM

Re: mkiii and glidecam

Hi David,

I've been doing a lot of music clips recently, although the season is starting to get slower now. Here are my tips.

Screw the 'rules' - Be different. Of course it depends on what you're shooting, but if it's something artistic then you're allowed to *truly* screw the rules (except the fundamental ones of course!)

When I shoot music clips, I switch the settings on set/location. Some I shoot in 1080p 25fps, then I go right in, switch over to NTSC and flip it to 720p 60fps. And yes, those 10 extra frames do make a difference when you're aiming for fluid slow motion.

In post, I gather up all my 720p shots and import them separately from the 1080p ones in their own bins. I use 'interpret footage' to have them slow from 60fps to 25fps, laying them in a 25fps timeline. Of course I scale them 150% to match the 1080p footage.

The difference in res-quality side by side is negligible but the impact of the slower motion footage next to normal footage is awesome, especially if you're doing concept music promos.

You can slow it even more using Twixtor, etc. if you need to, but I find 60fps -> 25fps just nice. Of course to do this effectively, you need to know in advance what parts of the video you want slowing and which you need to have in normal speed (ie. playback).

There's nothing wrong with mixing the resolution sizes in my opinion (and scaling the 720p VT up). That process can look quite effective. Although some might not agree with me, my clients seem to be happy enough with the result!

Hope this helps.

David Bass September 14th, 2012 02:00 PM

Re: mkiii and glidecam

Yea thanks Kris
Some great tips n tricks n advise in there.
Ill certainly have more of a go in trying different formats when flying the mkiii on the glidecam 4000 hd
Thanks again

One thing i did do on this particular shoot was to work in a 1920x 1080 25 p timeline and drop on my 1280 x 720 50p footage and ran some crawling text underneath the 720 footage in the black space not filled by the 720 and didnt increase the 150 % scale which worked really well.