DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Two Camera shoot decisions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/510799-two-camera-shoot-decisions.html)

Harry Simpson September 18th, 2012 11:11 AM

Two Camera shoot decisions

I know I've got to make a decision and stick with it but I keep arguing with myself as to which camera lens combo would be optimal for a live concert video shoot.
Going to pull mic out off board into the zoom h4n.
Plan to have a camera on a tripod fairly stationary and another camera roving for second camera shots.

I've got the following cameras: 5Dmk3 (FF) and T2i (crop).
I've got the following IS lenses: 24-105 L f4 IS and the 70-200 L f2.8 IS II
I've got the following non-IS lenses: 50 f1.8 and 85 f1.8

My lean to plan now is set the 24-105 on the 5dMk3 (IS off) with Rode Stereo video mic attached on tripod fairly close to the front of the stage as the main camera (since DOF better at wider aptr and the camera can shoot for extended periods of time)
Then walk around T2i with the 70-200 lens (with IS on) to shoot the second shooter accent shots.

I'm hesitant to use the non-IS lenses.

Any different views? I've not shot video for a couple of months now and got to revisit it. :-)

TIA
Harry

Charles Newcomb September 18th, 2012 02:29 PM

Re: Two Camera shoot decisions

I would put the T2i on a monopod or on a steady cam with IS on.

Nigel Barker September 20th, 2012 04:52 AM

You should switch the IS off if you are using a Steadicam otherwise the IS fights the movement then gives up & you end up with jittery footage which is the opposite of what you would expect with IS on. The same principle applies when using a tripod or slide - switch the IS off.

The low light performance of the T2i is much worse than the 5D3 (maximum ISO800 versus ISO6400) so I would use the widest aperture lens on the T2i i.e. the 50mm F/1.8 Put the T2i as far back & as high as possible to get a wide shot then use the 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II on a monopod. Because of the weight of the lens use the tripod ring on the lens for support as it will be better balance.

Harry Simpson September 21st, 2012 10:56 AM

I see your point. The T2i just needs so much more attention it seems. Though it's inside I've had it overheat before and stop....not fun.

so the 50 1.8 lens for video? You've shot with good results before? I was thinking the 24-105 f4L would just be better glass to use......though slower but could compensate with the mk3's higher ISO tolerance.

the venue said yes I could use the mic out from the sound board if I paid them $250 - unbelievable!! so even the Zoom will be on a stand.

If I have the 70-200 f2.8L2 on a monopod, you think I need to turn off the IS? Its a folk singer not Mick Jagger ;-)

Bill Grant September 21st, 2012 11:51 AM

Harry, ive found if i turn off the IS it's jitter city even on a tripod unless you just dont touch it. I say if you have and IS lens. Use it all the time.
Bill

Nigel Barker September 22nd, 2012 01:28 AM

Sorry Bill but that is bogus. What kind of crappy tripod could produce jittery footage? An advanced IS system like that on the 70-200mm F/2.8L II figures out when it is on a tripod & does not try & correct for panning movements. The IS on the 24-105mm F/4L does not have the smarts to do this.

Noa Put September 22nd, 2012 09:23 AM

Not sure if low light is an issue for this type of shoot, will the stage not be lit well? About setting the OIS on or off on a steadicam or tripod; have to agree with Nigel, it has to be set to off. Only when handheld or when filming on a monopod you can leave it on. if your tripod causes a jittery image it's not a good one.

Bill Grant September 22nd, 2012 09:44 AM

not bogus for me Nigel. Sorry. If I turn IS off, it's unusable. My tripod is fine, I promise. Your Mileage may Vary. Thing is, he should test these things for himself before a live shoot.
Bill

Sareesh Sudhakaran September 23rd, 2012 12:45 AM

Maybe you've considered this already, but what if you ground the 5D and handhold the 550D?

It's lighter. The disadvantage is losing wide angle ability, and that means different lenses. I really like the monopod+IS and even a small slider if you have the room.

Harry Simpson September 28th, 2012 08:41 AM

Welp post shoot. Ended up with the Zoom on stand. RODE SVM on mk3 on tripod with 24-104 f4L IS off
550 with 70-200 f2.8L IS on on monopod.

Major f*ck up on my part was assuming the Mk3 comes default with audio set to auto. Audio was set to manual and was NOT dialed in. I really didn't care if it was in auto audion since I was only going to use it for sync reference. MORAL of story check EVERYTHING twice!!

So the video looks great but the audio is low volume from the ZOOM and blown from the RODE and the best audio of the night came from the T2i monural camera mic!! ARG!!

DualEyes comepletely fails at matching any of my MOVs (with the RODE blown out sound) with the low volume WAV file. ARGx10!!

I can salvage some i'm sure. Anyone tried the PluralEyes 3? Think it might do better than DualEyes 2?