EOS 6D - What do you think? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EOS 6D - What do you think?

The New Canon EOS 6D Full-Frame DSLR: Practical and Functional | BH inDepth

For me the 4.5 fps is too slow. My 7D does 8 fps. I guess the appeal of a full frame sensor is something I do not think I need so much (surf & skiing photography primarily)
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: EOS 6D - What do you think?

For me the appeal is the Full Frame Chip + DIGIC 5+ Processor

a. Full Frame
- lets me fully use L lenses (for me this means better color rendition)
- gives more choices for wider lenses
- allows for better low light performance
- and to my eye has a slighter better image than cropped cameras
* specifically the 24-105mm IS L lens becomes very usable for me, it has a nice range, and with IS is decent for video

b. DIGIC 5+ Processor - better handling of aliasing and moiré

... and the GPS + WiFi are also kinda cool ...
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:27 PM   #3
Major Player

I only use DSLR for video. I would only buy it for full frame. But really...I'm tire of Canon crap for not coming out with newer things. Well they can like the 4k DSLR but they're not gonna give it to us at the price we want.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
For me the appeal is the Full Frame Chip + DIGIC 5+ Processor

a. Full Frame
- lets me fully use L lenses (for me this means better color rendition)
- gives more choices for wider lenses
- allows for better low light performance
- and to my eye has a slighter better image than cropped cameras
* specifically the 24-105mm IS L lens becomes very usable for me, it has a nice range, and with IS is decent for video

b. DIGIC 5+ Processor - better handling of aliasing and moiré

... and the GPS + WiFi are also kinda cool ...

interesting, I agree with a. Have the 5d mark2 and just simply think the full frame image is more aesthetically pleasing.

I did not, however, know about b. that this processor caused better handling of aliasing and Moirč. That's makes a huge difference
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Wrangler

5+ DIGIC Processor (from B&H website)
Quote:
The DIGIC 5+ processor also dramatically improves video response times and helps to reduce color artifacts, aberrations, and moiré while providing the ability to record with sensitivities up to ISO 25600 in H mode.
I should add it's not just the 5+ DIGIC processor, it's also the Optical Low Pass Filter (OLPF) from the 5DIII - that helps to handle aliasing/moire ... I'm assuming Canon also installed the OLPF in the 6D.

... but I think the 3 things I'd still like to see are:
  • audio levels during recording
  • swivel screen
  • headphone jack
I'll take those over Full Frame any day, still the 6D/5DIII imaging tech is pretty sweet.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

6D high ISO test

We need a 6D thread. I guess this is the best place to post this for now. I tried out high ISO in video mode. Here are the results:
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Patrick,

There has been a video or two showing that aliasing and moire aren't really any better on the 6D as we might have expected. Have you noticed any issues with this yourself?

I've got mine coming in the mail. Hopefully I can put a few tests up soon as well.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Major Player

I have one of these in my cart in B&H, but I am still debating on whether to confirm the order. B&H have a special offer on the camera at $2,699 with the 24mm-105mm IS L lens (plus a bag and memory card).

One of those workhorse lenses costs $1,099 by itself, and I have been wanting to get one for photography work, so if I subtract that it means the camera will be only $1,600 (I'm really trying to justify it here).

I really want to get in on the FF bandwagon; surely larger sensors are going to the the norm in the future? The upcoming Dragon sensor seems to confirm that, and the next generation 1DC will surely be FF at 4K?Seems like the 6D is the best way to get on it.....

Patrick, please do keep posting your thoughts on the camera, especially with regards to aliasing and moire. Have you tried the remote viewing feature (with a smartphone)?
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces yet. I have heard the same things about aliasing and moire. The improved ISO performance was huge for me. It was really a toss up between MK III and 6d, I went 6D, and the savings meant I was able to upgrade to all L series glass. I also plan to start working in still photography (too many stills guys trying to get in on video around here, time to return the favor ) , so FF was a necessity.
Here's a BIG disappointment gang. no wifi in video mode! that means , no smart phone app in video mode. This was not very clear in any of the promotional material.

I should be shooting a wedding this weekend. I'll try to test it's limits for moire and aliasing.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Scott Fisher View Post
Here's a BIG disappointment gang. no wifi in video mode! that means , no smart phone app in video mode. This was not very clear in any of the promotional material.
That really is a big disappointment as it looked like built-in WiFi would save the cost of one of those mega expensive WFT dongles that do work in video mode. It's a shame that they couldn't have implemented something like Panasonic have with the GH3 which even apparently allows control of the zoom lens from an iPhone.

Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Scott Fisher View Post
Huh, that really is a disappointment. One of the reasons I was keen on the 6D was because it would allow you to use a phone for framing, that would have been the only reasons I would use the wi-fi.
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Heres hoping for a firmware update fix.
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #13
Major Player

I dunno'. I get the feeling Canon really wants us video users to just start buying 'C' series cameras.

The disabling of the movie mode wi-fi is most likely just another motivated decision to cripple a feature (it seems unlikely it would be a technical limitation). They genuinely are offering less-and-less features compared to their competitors; similar priced Nikon & Sony DSLR's have so many more options these days, and less expensive Panasonic's offer far more quality.

I'm really tempted to sell my Canon lenses and jump ship at this point.
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Major Player

I am thinking the same but there is nothing like a 16-35mm on a 5DMK3 :)
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
That really is a big disappointment as it looked like built-in WiFi would save the cost of one of those mega expensive WFT dongles that do work in video mode. It's a shame that they couldn't have implemented something like Panasonic have with the GH3 which even apparently allows control of the zoom lens from an iPhone.

Panasonic GH3 Review 5: Wi-fi Operation on Vimeo
I truly can't understand why Canon crippled Wifi in video mode. I didn't even realise this until reading this thread. That's yet another big plus factor for the new GH3.
The only big problem is being able to use my iPhone outside of a full WiFi home connection to control the cameras in stills & video mode. I'm wondering if the camera to phone signals will also work through normal 3G network. If so it would open up a wide range of possibilities for filming outdoors in wild locations across Europe, because the 3G network is now quite good in most countries. For the past few years I've been using a special remote device to stop/start video mode on my 5D, but maybe it will be worth getting an extra GH3 body to use Wifi mode for remote-control video.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD