DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Mk3 not responding to external battery - any ideas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/511249-mk3-not-responding-external-battery-any-ideas.html)

John Hewat October 8th, 2012 07:10 PM

Mk3 not responding to external battery - any ideas?

Hello,

I have just bought a Lanparte 150Wh external battery and pinch to power my Mk3 and other devices.

The power supply works perfectly to a friend's Mk2 out of the 7.4v output but my Mk3 responds in different ways.

Sometimes it fires up just fine and works. Other times - a lot of the time - the red light on the back of the camera flicks three times and the flat battery indicator flicks on the camera's top lcd screen.

Worse still, sometimes it successfully turns on, only to suddenly shut down when I press the start/stop button to activate live view.

I don't know anything about batteries and power but the battery has this info written on it:

Digital Lithium-Ion
V-Mount Battery
Model: LPT-VB-150 Voltage 14.8V
Capactiy: 10.1AH/150Wh

Can anyone shed any light on the problem? Do I have a faulty camera? The cable, battery and pinch all seem to work fine with the Mk2.

Chris Soucy October 8th, 2012 08:42 PM

Re: Mk3 not responding to external battery - any ideas?

Um, er, what's a "pinch"?

CS

John Hewat October 8th, 2012 10:04 PM

Good question.

This thing: LanParte V-Mount Power Supply Pinch w/ HDMI Splitter :: OziRig Pro Australia

This is the specific kit I bought, but with a bigger battery: LanParte Complete V-Mount Power Supply Kit :: OziRig Pro Australia

Chris Soucy October 8th, 2012 11:30 PM

OK, strange name, but what the hell.

Suppose the first thing to check is that the output power of the "pinch" is suitable for the camera.

What does the III require, both voltage and current/ wattage?

Then, if it's theoretically compatible, is it actually delivering the goods?

Tricky thing to test under load, if you have no idea what you're doing and don't have access to the necessary gear.

From the information supplied, it would, on the face of it, appear to be a "power supply can't deliver enough power, so the voltage drops below what the camera can run on" situation.

Confusing the crap out of me is the photos of said "pinch" which is shown with either:

15 volts, 12 volts & 5 volts outputs...........

OR

12 volts and 7.2 volts if you have the HDMI splitter.

If you have the first and your camera requires 7.2 volts, you're screwed.

If you have the second (and your camera requires 7.2 volts), is it putting out enough current to run the camera?

Without knowing the details of the cameras requirements and what the "pinch" can deliver, I'm in fairy land with this one.

CS