DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Shoe mount Flash for MKIII (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/511540-shoe-mount-flash-mkiii.html)

Paul Cronin October 20th, 2012 09:24 AM

Shoe mount Flash for MKIII

I am in the market for a on camera hot shoe flash for the MKIII.

Most of the use will be night and boat interiors. But there will be times for daylight effects.

Just looking for a dependable unit that goes on the hot shoe.

After reading about the Canon flashes there seems to be concerns with overheat, slow response, and wireless problems. Not that I would need wireless at this point.

Recommendations from MKIII owners who are happy with their flash.

As you would guess this is only for stills.

Nigel Barker October 23rd, 2012 03:14 AM

Re: Shoe mount Flash for MKIII

We also shoot stills & use a couple of Canon 580 EX II flashguns. These have just been superseded by the 600EX-RT which is even more expensive but replaces the crappy IR line of site remote triggering with radio. I have never heard of overheating etc problems with the Canon 580 EX II flashguns & all the wedding photographers that I see using Canon gear seem to use them. However I recently bought a cheap used Nissin Di866 MARK II as a spare & it's great at about 1/3 the price of the Canon flash. I also hear good things about the Yongnuo YN-565EX which is another Chinese brand that has equivalent functionality to the 580EX flash. I have also just bought several Yongnuo YN-622C at the equivalent of less than $50 each & these are wonderful & cheap for triggering off camera flash either manually or using Canon ETTL.

Paul Cronin October 23rd, 2012 05:51 AM

Thanks Nigel for the great input. For that price it can't hurt to give the Yongnuo YN-622C a try it looks great after see a few videos.

Will check the flashes you recommended.

The Yongnuo YN-565EX looks great for my needs. A couple of videos showing it along side the Canon makes it worth a try.

Appreciate you saving me some money Nigel.

Have Fun

Robert Turchick October 23rd, 2012 01:15 PM

I have a pair of 580 EXII and they are amazing! I also have the MR14EX ring flash which is for special use but really shows how much better the 580EXII's are in terms of speed, reliability, battery life and heat.
There may be cheaper options out there but IMHO the 580's are worth every penny.

Trevor Dennis October 23rd, 2012 02:21 PM

I got my first 580EX2 at the same time as my 1DsMK3 (which was the very first one that Photo & Video in NZ sold). I had been previously using a 430EX on a 30D, and was used to constantly adjusting both AEC and FEC acording to conditions. The 580EX2 and 1DsMK3 combination gave me spot on results in 95% of situations just using the default settings for the flash.

When I see those oft repeated forum threads about an upgrade path for a new DSLR, I always think get a dedicated speedlite. I rarely work without one on at least one of the two bodies I carry (I also use a 1DMK4) and usually have a 580EX2 on each body. Essential kit IMO (unless you only shoot landscapes or similar).

Paul Cronin October 23rd, 2012 03:58 PM

Robert, Trevor, thanks for the positive feedback on the Canon 580EX2. Nigel was trying to save me a few bucks and appreciated.

Will decide next week when I am home from the current job. For the extra money the 580EX2 might just be worth it.

Thanks.

Nigel Barker October 24th, 2012 03:39 AM

Don't forget that as I mentioned the 580EX II has just been superseded by the 600EX-RT & you may have difficulty sourcing a new one.

Paul Cronin October 24th, 2012 06:09 AM

No worry Nigel I did not forget your input. I have that on my shopping list for next week when I am back in the office.