Best Affordable Uncompressed HDMI Capture Device for When We Get the April Firmware? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Affordable Uncompressed HDMI Capture Device for When We Get the April Firmware?

I'm looking for recommendations for capturing the forthcoming uncompressed HDMI out from the 5d Mk III so I can maybe start saving my pennies for (or looking for rental houses that offer) the right device.

In an ideal world the device is portable (I don't want to lug a Mac around attached to my camera), captures to ProRes HQ (I work in FCP) although I'd consider shooting in RAW. I'd also like it to eliminate things like 60i pulldown issues on capture (c'mon, I just want pristine 24p footage I can bring into my editor, I don't wanna go backwards here!)

Have been tempted lately to ditch the trusty 5d Mk III in favor of a BlackMagic Cinema Camera but maybe I stay if I feel I can neutralize a big advantage the BMCC has in capture codecs, as shooting with the BMCC comes with a veritable Pandora's Box of its own issues. Can't do much about the greater resolution and exposure latitudes of the BMCC, but I can maybe live without those for one or two more features on my full-frame beauty.

Many thanks in advance!
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Best Affordable Uncompressed HDMI Capture Device for When We Get the April Firmwa

Uncompressed out to an HDMI recorder is going to be great for a lot of purposes, especially keying and heavy grading.

No 5DM3 here, but, I just picked up a Nanoflash. Wow, a geeky delight, to be sure. No ProRes (see Atomos Ninja), no built-in monitor, but, HD-SDI in *and* out, HDMI in *and* out, conversions in both directions, Sony MXF, Quicktime, and MPG, in a slew of long-GOP and I-frame-only bitrates up to 280Mbps, all in true 4:2:2. I expect to mostly work at 100Mbps Long-GOP, a recommended sweet spot.

I've barely cracked this thing open (battery on-order), but per specs, the MOV is very FCP friendly. Will try that one day soon. So far, the Sony MXF is pretty cool. And, I *really like* that it is SDI/HDMI, a real switch-hitter. With both outputs hot in either mode, you can monitor with an SDI or HDMI screen, or both! Skip buying the spendy little conversion boxes... and I look forward to a long useful life, beyond my current HDMI acquisition and on to HD-SDI on rental cameras.

The Nanoflash is built around a Sony hardware encoder, same one as goes in a PDW-800 camera, but, unleashed!

Send me your 5DM3 and I'll send you some test video, if you like ;-)

Do check out the Nanoflash, Ninja, and other solid-state recorder forums here at DVInfo.

PS. there is some pulldown on record, too, that I've not checked out yet.
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Best Affordable Uncompressed HDMI Capture Device for When We Get the April Firmwa

Shame this update is so far away!
Here's a recording solution you may want to consider...
Blackmagic Design: HyperDeck Shuttle
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Aja Ki Pro is also highly respected locally, some folks I work with use it all the time and love it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD