DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Canon 17 & 24 Tilt and Shift Lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/512019-canon-17-24-tilt-shift-lens.html)

Paul Cronin November 10th, 2012 04:22 PM

Canon 17 & 24 Tilt and Shift Lens

Anyone have experience with either of these lens? I am in the market for a tilt and shift for interior stills and starting my search.

Mark Watson November 10th, 2012 11:58 PM

Re: Canon 17 & 24 Tilt and Shift Lens

Paul,

I have the 24mm version. I avoided the 17mm for fear of any fish-eye. A hefty piece. It's L quality and feels solid, but with all the tilting/shifting/rotating that the lens does, I would suspect the dust/moisture sealing feature is compromised. I haven't used it for architectural purposes yet, so I can't say how good it is at straightening walls, etc. It's a great 24mm prime lens with fixed aperture (f/3.5). No IS or AF. The ribbed focus ring is 1" wide and perfect rotation friction for me. It's about 110 degrees stop-to-stop. Takes an 82mm filter. The small locking and adjusting knobs (4 total) loosen over time. I'll be putting some loctite on the screws.

There are some good tutorials/reviews on-line for this series of lenses, which will demonstrate how to straighten architectural elements so the sides aren't converging.

I got it for tilt-shift video, just before I read Chris Hurd's post that the effect I'm going for can be done in the NLEs. For anybody looking to do tilt-shift video with this 24mm lens, when shooting down on, let's say a construction site, I've found I need to be about 100 feet above ground level to get the proper blurring effect, which is accomplished through a combination of the tilt adjustment on the lens, and the aperture setting. My best results are achieved when the center 3rd of the frame is in sharp focus and blurring out in the upper and lower thirds.

Mark

Charles W. Hull November 11th, 2012 12:19 AM

I have the old TS-E 45 and have converted it to tilt and shift in the same direction for landscapes (stills). It does a good job but I really really want the TS-E 24 for that and will probably spring for it next time I have a weak moment.

However I haven't used TS for video. What kinds of shots do you have mind for the lens?

<edit> Woops, I see you want it for interior stills. I'm sure the 24 would be outstanding for that based on its reputation.

Paul Cronin November 11th, 2012 06:42 AM

Thanks Mark and Charles,

Charles for wide video I use my EF 17-55 on the C300. Nice and wide and if I need wider I use my EF 14.

The tilt and shift is for boat interior stills and some exterior shots. 24mm might not be wide enough for what we need. I will have to give the 17mm and 24mm both a try prior to buying. Different beast then just buying a EF lens.

Mark I will find and go through as many tutorials as I can, and put time on the lens to get up to speed. Currently I have been using the 14mm and it is great. The tilt and shift will open up more options since the 14mm needs to be perfectly flat.

Victor Nguyen November 12th, 2012 06:56 PM

have anybody look into tilt and shift in camera vs in post? BTW, all T&S lenses are all manual right?

Mark Watson November 12th, 2012 11:05 PM

Victor,
It's a manual lens. No AF, no IS. Inside there are some gears and pivot points. There is also a flexible ribbon cable which I think is for the aperture control and aperture position reporting. The lens has electrical contacts to communicate with the camera. Other than the aperture, it's all manual.

There's a very in-depth review at:
Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II Tilt-Shift Lens Review

I see there's a $250 rebate in effect until 1 December
Canon TS-E 24mm| B&H Photo Video

John Carroll November 13th, 2012 10:12 AM

Are you planning to use it as an effect or to correct perspective distortion and things like that?
They really are nice lenses even without the T/S features... nice and sharp.

The tilt action gives you control over focus with DOF control (either widening or narrowing) and the shift action let's make perspective adjustments. Combine the 2 and you can make some pretty neat looking shots. You can do a lot with After Effects to emulate these effects, but they aren't completely the same.
You can correct perspective distortion in post all day long, but you'll have to crop your image as well so there is a trade off, maybe a big one. The selective focus gag has been done to death, but if that's what you are after, I would consider doing this in post. Why commit to the shot by doing the effect in camera if you can wait and do it in post and adjust to taste?

I have used systems like these for years with 35mm motion picture cameras. The Canon lenses, Arri and Clairmont Camera also had very popular versions of these lenses too which actually had more range of tilt and shift to them.

Let me know if you are looking to achieve an effect with selective focus or looking to do things like correct perspective distortion or shoot straight into a mirror etc. and I'll try to be more specific...

In the end, they are good lenses... but you might be able to use your money for something else...