Shooting High School Soccer question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: Shooting High School Soccer question

Hi Mark
It's similar to HiPod but it's something I build and integrate from different component suppliers...and now I offer this as a product to local clubs (still working on this part...)
I looked into scaffolds, but the work involved to set it up was too much. And scaffolds invite more questions (and possibly permits..)
For the TM900 I used the zoom button for the most part. I even tried to build an IR repeater to use the IR remote for zoom functions.. but it was unreliable so I gave up that project.
If you have hand access to the video camera, then lanc will just give you more flexibility with your hands (and it will be good on your arms after filming a 90 minute game.)
One technique I used with the TM900 was to acquire smooth pans while standing on the highest point of the bleachers is attaching it to a monopod, and then having the tip of the monopod resting on a pouch at waist level (similar to what flag bearers do when carrying a flag during a parade.)
David Cordero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #17
Major Player

Do you have any pictures of the rig you could share?
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #18
New Boot

Not sure if this works.. but here's my Youtube channel with my panoramic video tower and some footage from 30ft.

https://www.youtube.com/user/soccerdadcanada
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #19
Major Player

That's some great elevation! Seems like greater than 30ft!

I don't know what i'd have to charge to justify that expense and effort.
What's your target price? North of 7,500?
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #20
New Boot

Glad you liked it.

There are a few vendors in the US that sell this type of product (HiPod, Endzone, etc) with the cheapest at $4500 all the way to $8,000++. I am not aware of anyone selling a similar product in Canada. My target pricepoint for my 30 ft tower is at the lower end of that range.

I've had to give much thought about establishing my rate card for my filming/editing services using the tower. My local soccer market is still undeveloped in terms of understanding the value of video for player development and for recruitment purposes. However, there are actions underway from major soccer associations to start professionalizing youth player development, and that is where I will see more acceptance of video, and more willingness to spend for it.

Recently I was chosen by a local elite soccer academy as their official videographer after comparing with local videographers. (Wedding videographers were not considered.)
I had to sharpen my pencil as I considered this as key to getting better presence with my local soccer community.
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #21
Major Player

I shoot American football with my Canon A1, but last year I start using my Canon T2i with 24-70 and 70-200 lenses on a monopod shooting 60fps from the sideline, the result were great but to contain your focus you have to shoot at F8 or higher, it does take some practice to use manual focus as the players come closer to you, but the result at the end is fantastic.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD