5D3: are there any "issues" with this camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 24th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Major Player

5D3: are there any "issues" with this camera?

I'm seriously considering the 5d3 and wanted to know if there are any known issues with the camera, such as overheating (I believe the 5d2 had this issue?), etc. How do you work with getting high and low angle shots with an LCD that doesn't swivel?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 5D3: are there any "issues" with this camera?

Only just got mine a few weeks ago Bill. Did my first proper shoot the other night and had no overheating issues - shot about 40 minutes of footage over a 2 hour period at an amateur boxing tournament.

Must admit I hated the feeling of shooting with the form of this camera - I have invested in a decent shoulder rig system and an EVF (which I think is an essential piece of kit of you are going to run this camera through its paces). Unfortunately I am massively underwhelmed by my EVF - I paid nigh on £1000 for an Alphatron and have had so many issues with it - sending it back next week for the manufacturers to check it out.
I would invest in some external monitoring device as the non-swivel LCD makes it difficult to see anything from an unconventional angle.

Even though I didn't actually enjoy shooting with it like I do my shoulder mounted JVC gy-hm700, I certainly liked the image that I got out of the mkiii - amazing
Keith Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Works great, my main issue is it doesn't take CF card type 2, I use a Varavon multifinder and it can open up so you can look down on it for low angle, for high angle if you handheld the camera you can flip the camera upside down and reverse it in post.
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Major Player

I have had mine for several months with no major issues to report. I guess like the others, I wish that the camera had an on board swivel screen. Personally, I don't have a need nor do I have the necessary equipment to take advantage of the missing clean HD out.

I think that with all camera, you will undoubtedly have some issues. I have found that for my purposes, the Mark III is fine. I don't get into a lot of the nit picking that I see others do when differentiating between the Mark III and others. In my unprofessional opinion, you can't go wrong with many of the new cameras, Just get the one that gives your clients what they need.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Bill,
the only issue I've had has been the softness that everyone has had. I solve that by upping the in camera sharpness a tick and applying in post if needed. The old "dial sharpness down to nothing" method did not work well for me. Otherwise it's a revolution. 8000 iso is very useable, and the audio improvements are awesome. To add, I'm also liking the 6d but i haven't had it but about a week.
Bill
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Bill,

Great comments! I agree with you that the audio improvements are awesome. In fact once you understand how to use the audio, it is really good despite the early reviews that said that it was terrible. Like you, I don't like the softness but coming from the XHA1s and the XHA1, it was a drastic improvement. Once I learned how to set up the camera, I like you learned to adjust the sharpness and produce some really sharp footage that only a videographer would appreciate. The majority of the people watching probably wouldn't even notice the improvement.
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Do you need specialized software to “sharpen“ the image in post or will any editor do (I still work with FCP 7) And what is the noticeable difference between sharpening it in-camera or in post-production?
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Major Player

I find sharpening in post to be more pleasing to the eyes. And yes. Any editing software will sharpen.
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #9
New Boot

This is a great camera. I love it and have had no issues. I use the Mrk III mostly for video and RAW time-lapse work. In video mode, I shoot with Technicolor CineStyle picture profile and then sharpen in post. I just shot these test clips for an upcoming music video last weekend:
. The sharpening in camera was totally off for these clips and sharpened 4.5 in FCPX and at 87% in Neat Video plug in. I hope this give you a sample of how this camera performs.

Last edited by Scott Stacy; February 8th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Scott Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #10
Major Player

What exactly is Technicolor CineStyle picture profile? Is it just a series of recommended settings because this isn't something in my Mark III?
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #11
Major Player

Bill, I've owned a T2i,7D and now a 5D3. I experienced overheating on the T21 but never on the 7D (though I don't shoot in the jungle or desert, but do shoot all day video in theater settings). I believe that the overheating might have had to do with battery placement in the T2i. Anyway, no overheating with the 5D3, even with long shoots. Low angle I hook up a small Marshall monitor. Great camera. I echo everyone else's comments. A bit of sharpening in post does help, but picture quality is outstanding over all. You have watched Philip Bloom's review of it? Worth the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds View Post
I'm seriously considering the 5d3 and wanted to know if there are any known issues with the camera, such as overheating (I believe the 5d2 had this issue?), etc. How do you work with getting high and low angle shots with an LCD that doesn't swivel?

Last edited by Al Bergstein; February 9th, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Bill,
the only issue I've had has been the softness that everyone has had. I solve that by upping the in camera sharpness a tick and applying in post if needed. The old "dial sharpness down to nothing" method did not work well for me. Otherwise it's a revolution. 8000 iso is very useable, and the audio improvements are awesome. To add, I'm also liking the 6d but i haven't had it but about a week.
Bill
Bill I would not adjust the sharpness in the camera. Trust me the detail is there. It is much preferred to do your sharpening in post. I shot a commercial recently and when I looked at the footage in post I freaked out because it was soft. Then I added the most basic sharpening filter and it was amazing. Phillp Bloom recommends the same thing.
Scott Hutchcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Major Player

I know. Ive seen the recommendations but I've had a better experience with sharpness in camera.
Bill
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Covington View Post
What exactly is Technicolor CineStyle picture profile? Is it just a series of recommended settings because this isn't something in my Mark III?
It is a very flat - almost LOG-like - picture profile that one uses to record video. It provide greater dynamic range than the other Canon picture profiles. It is butt ugly without post processing, but allows you to much more control in post. I would not shoot without it - unless I was using a RED of Alexa :-). Their RAW and Log profiles are really ugly before post processing.

You have to download it from the Technicolor website and install it using the Canon utility that came with your 5D. Once you do that, apply the following picture profile settings to the CineStyle profile: Sharpness = 0; Contrast = -4; Saturation = -2; Color Tone = 0. There are some nice YouTube tutorials on CineStyle.
Scott Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #15
Major Player

Does downloading the third party profile to the 5D Mark III void the warranty? Are their other profiles that can be download?

Thanks for the answers.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD