Camcorder equal to the 5D quality? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Camcorder equal to the 5D quality?

Both JuicedLink and Beachtek have adapters that will provide phantom power for the NTG3 and other powered mics. . Over the years, though purists won't admit it, these adapters have provided great service and added value to lower end camera systems.

If you are going run a mic on camera, though, the on camera mic is a 5.1 surround mic that actually is not bad--- a lot better than I expected.
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #32
Space Hipster

The FS100 is compatible with the new power zoom lens. The lens has a small zoom control on its body. You just need to use that.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #33
Major Player

Glen - pretty sure it's the FS700 with the zoom rocker switch on the handle, not the FS100.

Danny - one camera I forgot to mention was the

. It has autofocus, a power zoom, great low light capability, a shoulder mount and XLR jacks.

Here is what it can do indoors (couldn't find any gym video, so here's a church :)):

Cheers,

Bill
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #34
Major Player

Wow Bill, that boxer video is very impressive! I will definitly look into that set up. You can see the fast shutter they used on it and it seems awesome in the low light. Thanks so much for the lead!
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Both JuicedLink and Beachtek have adapters that will provide phantom power for the NTG3 and other powered mics. . Over the years, though purists won't admit it, these adapters have provided great service and added value to lower end camera systems.

If you are going run a mic on camera, though, the on camera mic is a 5.1 surround mic that actually is not bad--- a lot better than I expected.
Yeah Chris, I use the juced link with my 5d MKII and it works great, it's just that I really wouldn't want to have to attach it to a camcorder while running arount the gym tryin to follow fighters. But, if it's my only alternative I would do it. Thanks again.
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Have you looked at the new JVC GY-HM600?

I am also looking, and would LOVE the Canon C100 as well, but the JVC looks like best bang for the buck with great lowlight, 23x zoom and really wide angle. Not to mention lots of recording format choices including simultaneous recording.
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
Glen - pretty sure it's the FS700 with the zoom rocker switch on the handle, not the FS100.

Bill
Youre right the FS100 hand grip doesn't have the zoom rocker. But his point was that the SELP18200 lens body itself has a small zoom control lever.

Another vote for the FS100 for the OP--I wouldn't even think twice about it. With the native f/1.8 e-mount native lenses you get superb lowlight and full-time autofocus and great maneuverability. The 35mm and 50mm lenses are even stabilized.
Al Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:13 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post

Danny - one camera I forgot to mention was the $3500 Sony NEX-EA50. It has autofocus, a power zoom, great low light capability, a shoulder mount and XLR jacks.

Here is what it can do indoors (couldn't find any gym video, so here's a church :)):

Sint Trudo Kerk Peer / Sint Trudo Church on Vimeo

Cheers,

Bill
Hey Bill, how does the sensor in the EA50 compare to the 5D? Some of the reviews on B&H gave this cam bad marks for low light. However the videos samples look great in low light. Strange.
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Winn View Post
Hey Bill, how does the sensor in the EA50 compare to the 5D? Some of the reviews on B&H gave this cam bad marks for low light. However the videos samples look great in low light. Strange.
The lens your using has a lot to do with it as well.

Buy some quality glass and your all set.

I would highly recommend the Sony EA50.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #40
Major Player

Awesome! Thanks James.

James, do you happen to know if the EA50 would accept my Canon 24/70 lens? That's the lens I use on my 5D.
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Danny, I'm jumping in late in the conversation. Are you looking to replace the XHA1s or the 5D? I mean, which equipment do you plan to keep? If you sell the two XHA1s's and the 5D, you should be able to cover the Canon C100 with a bit more out of pocket. You already have glass for it (from your 5D). If I recall your original post, the only shortfall with your 5D is the audio?

I'm in the same boat with my two XHA1s! But I need to be able to do run-and-gun as well as cinematic work, and take pictures. C100 is a bit out of my budget because I have no glass whatsoever, so I'm looking hard at a 5D mk III and a C100 later when I hit the Megabucks.

Most of this thread is moot point though, this close to NAB. Expect some surprises - I would hold off a month

What I've read about the FS100 from Sony is that although it is a great picture, it's rather awkward and frustrating to use. If you decide on that, please report your findings
Old March 6th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #42
Major Player

Wow, I keep hearing people downplay the audio on the 5D Mark III. In the shoots that I've done with this particular camera, I have absolutely no concerns. Although my experience is limited to the following:

Canon HV30
Canon XHA1
Canon XHA1s
Canon XLH1
Canon 5D Mark III
Canon HF G10
Canon HFS 30
Canon 7d
Canon 5D Mark II

I think that the 5D Mark III is the best by far for audio. With any audio that I have captured, I always import it into my Adobe suite and try to make it sound better. Just curious what camera, if any has such GREAT audio out that the 5D Mark III continues to get slammed. The camera overall is a GREAT camera. I actually don't think that the solution here is the Canon C100 (although I want one and will be getting one). Out of the box, the C100 will limit Danny's use as it only shoots at a frame rate of 24p. If my understanding is correct, Danny will pay additional money for the 60i, PF30, PF24, 24p, 50i, and 25p frame rates. Regarding the glass, I agree, good glass will make footage look significantly better with most any camera.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Covington View Post
Wow, I keep hearing people downplay the audio on the 5D Mark III. In the shoots that I've done with this particular camera, I have absolutely no concerns. Although my experience is limited to the following:

Canon HV30
Canon XHA1
Canon XHA1s
Canon XLH1
Canon 5D Mark III
Canon HF G10
Canon HFS 30
Canon 7d
Canon 5D Mark II

I think that the 5D Mark III is the best by far for audio. With any audio that I have captured, I always import it into my Adobe suite and try to make it sound better. Just curious what camera, if any has such GREAT audio out that the 5D Mark III continues to get slammed. The camera overall is a GREAT camera. I actually don't think that the solution here is the Canon C100 (although I want one and will be getting one). Out of the box, the C100 will limit Danny's use as it only shoots at a frame rate of 24p. If my understanding is correct, Danny will pay additional money for the 60i, PF30, PF24, 24p, 50i, and 25p frame rates. Regarding the glass, I agree, good glass will make footage look significantly better with most any camera.
Original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Winn View Post
I love my 5D MKII but I hate my Canon XH A1s, it's horrible in low light and very grainy. I shoot a lot of MMA training for UFC and other outlets and I need a good quality camcorder with the image quality of the 5D but Live auto focus. Nearly impossible to film MMA training with manual focus. Anybody have any HD Camcorder suggestions in the same price range as the 5D???

Thanks much.
Maurice, if you were referring to me, I didn't downplay anything. Nobody said anything about the sound on the 5D Mk III. I am considering buying a Mk III for myself. I was just trying to clarify for myself what the original problem was. We know he's not happy with the picture on the XHA1s. But he also said he loved his 5D mk II (not mk III - big difference) I got the impression he would use the Mk II for video, except for the sound. If that is true, why not get a Mk III, which I think has improved sound capability. Danny also insisted he needed XLR inputs, though, which the C100 has.

What are your thoughts on the 5D mk III for run-and-gun video? I would love one.
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #44
Major Player

Apologies Alex. I've got to get some glasses. Like me I'm sure that you hear that beating that the 5D Mark III takes, some for good reason but in response to your question, if you have the correct setup and really get to know and understand the camera, I think it works fine. I like some of the others actually do prefer a video camera over the HDSLR for run and gun and then simply get some cinematic shoots with the Mark III. I would however like to try shooting an entire wedding with 4 Mark III's. I'm just waiting for money to start growing on trees, bushes, plants and anything else that I can have easy access to. :-)
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #45
Regular Crew

The only poeple I see knocking the 5D are Nikon owners. Lol!

I'd really like a C100 after the reviews I saw and read, but a little too pricy for me at this point. I don't have a still camera, and I'm being asked quite often to do shoots. I can sell my two XHA1s's hopefully. I'm inclined to get the JVC GY HG600 (affordable and all the right features) I just don't know how it would do with a Canon DSLR on a 2-cam shoot. At least the 5D mk III would hold me off until I can get a C100 or something similar. Once I start buying lenses I'd like to swap them back and forth between cameras. That's why I would't go Sony or Nikon once I get anything Canon.

I probably wouldn't use a 5D for run and gun, unless I absolutely need a great picture or in low light. But you are happy with it as a video cam? I usually record audio separate because I do a lot of showroom bands and concerts, etc.

I can imagine video with a 5D being VERY awkward without a rig or tripod. How's the stability?
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD