DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Canon 5D MK III New Firmware - Clean HDMI Output? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/515401-canon-5d-mk-iii-new-firmware-clean-hdmi-output.html)

Julian Frost March 28th, 2013 11:23 PM

Canon 5D MK III New Firmware - Clean HDMI Output?

I did a search, but didn't find any info on this...

The news release from Canon announces that the next firmware release for the 5D mk III will allow uncompressed HDMI from the camera. What it doesn't say, is if this uncompressed HDMI signal will be clean (IE free from all on -screen data). Has anyone heard anything, one way or the other?

The press release makes it sound like maybe it will be a clean signal, as it "makes possible the recording of high-definition uncompressed video data from the EOS 5D Mark III to an external recorder via the camera's HDMI terminal"...

--- Quote ---
Uncompressed HDMI Output Support

When shooting video, HDMI Output makes possible the recording of high-definition uncompressed video data (YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit) from the EOS 5D Mark III to an external recorder via the camera's HDMI terminal. This, in turn, facilitates the editing of video data with minimal image degradation for greater on-site workflow efficiency during motion picture and video productions. Additionally, video being captured can be displayed on an external monitor, enabling real-time, on-site monitoring of high-definition video during shooting.
--- End Quote ---

Per Johan Naesje March 29th, 2013 07:34 AM

Re: Canon 5D MK III New Firmware - Clean HDMI Output?

According to Canon Professional Network - EOS 5D Mark III firmware update planned for April 2013:
Quote:

the new firmware includes ‘clean’ HDMI output, enhancing overall video editing and monitoring procedures. Videographers will be able to output high-definition uncompressed video data (YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit) without any embedded icons or symbols, from the EOS 5D Mark III to an external recorder using the camera’s HDMI terminal.
It looks like it´s clean as stated at cpn

John Carroll April 1st, 2013 01:36 PM

Okay... it's April.

Let's have the new firmware already!!

Jon Fairhurst April 1st, 2013 02:25 PM

I would guess that the new firmware will be released before NAB.

Scenario 1: Canon releases firmware before NAB. People are happy. Canon says, "we support our customers." Then they tell us about their new stuff and we listen closely. Customers start fantasizing about giving money to Canon as soon as the new toys ship.

Scenario 2: Canon doesn't release the firmware before NAB. People are unhappy. Canon answers the same question over and over and over again. Rumors start. People badmouth the company. Canon tells us about their new products. And people respond by saying, "yeah, but what about the firmware?" And then they walk to a competitor's booth.

If at all possible, Canon should choose Scenario 1. :)

John Carroll April 1st, 2013 02:50 PM

Great post Jon... Too funny/probably true.

Now if they would just re-inforce the HDMI out connector! One touch and it blinks... no big deal when you're just monitoring, but will be hugely annoying when you are recording from it!

Mark Watson April 1st, 2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Carroll (Post 1787971)
Great post Jon... Too funny/probably true.

Now if they would just re-inforce the HDMI out connector! One touch and it blinks... no big deal when you're just monitoring, but will be hugely annoying when you are recording from it!

I'm not saying Canon shouldn't fix the HDMI port issue, but if they don't... there's this attachment that you can get. Not a perfect solution but maybe worth a try...

Canon 5D Mark II Mini-HDMI Port Protector and Port Lock | SmallHD

EDIT: Sorry man, now I see the small print on the web site... says it does not work with the Mark III.

Try this one instead ($119).

http://www.photographybay.com/2012/0...iis-hdmi-port/

John Carroll April 1st, 2013 07:17 PM

I've seen the one from SmallHD and I knew it didn't work with the Mark3, but I didn't know about the LockCircle - The Original Body Cap products... thanks!

Markus Nord April 5th, 2013 07:28 AM

In the "news forum" I read about Canons NAB announcements, but it was nothing there about the firmware update to the 5D3… anyone else got news about this?

John Carroll April 5th, 2013 07:57 AM

It's still early in the month, but I sure hope they don't pull a "BlackMagic Cinema Camera" on us!

Markus Nord April 9th, 2013 06:55 AM

IF anyone missed it... "End of this month" for 5DIII update.

Simon Wood April 9th, 2013 07:13 AM

Cool. Looking forward to that.

If they would just implement some sort sort of peaking & zebras then it would be sorted (I mean these things are available through the ML hack) - but a Canon firmware update to incorporate them would really make the 5Dmk3 a serious video tool.

John Carroll April 25th, 2013 12:07 PM

Still no firmware?

:(

Simon Wood April 25th, 2013 12:22 PM

30th April is the official release date according to the canon website:

Canon U.S.A. : Professional Imaging Products : EOS 5D Mark III

Canon U.S.A. : About Canon : Newsroom

John Carroll April 25th, 2013 02:09 PM

Cool... Thanks for letting me know!