DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Mix Pre D vs Tascam DR60? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/516834-mix-pre-d-vs-tascam-dr60.html)

Omar Nabulsi May 27th, 2013 01:15 PM

Mix Pre D vs Tascam DR60?

Hello all,

Apologies for the rudimentary question, but I cannot find any info that compares these two devices online. Can anyone tell me how the internal recording sound quality of the Tascam DR-60 compares to the internal camera audio recording with the Sound Devices Mix Pre D?

I want the best quality possible but am having a hard time discerning the difference that will be yielded between these two products.

Recorded sound will be sent to Canon 1DX and 1DC with the Mix Pre D.

Thank you!
~Omar

Dave Sperling May 28th, 2013 09:29 AM

Re: Mix Pre D vs Tascam DR60?

I can't compare the two since I have no real experience with the DR60.
However... seems like apples and oranges.
I do have a Sound Devices Mix Pre and am EXTREMELY happy with it -- the sound quality, pre-amps and limiters are all absolutely First Class. I noticed the difference immediately when I transitioned to it from s ahure FP33. Suddenly I didn't need to worry as much about being blown out by sudden loud comments or noises. 95% of what would have clipped in the Shure was handled beautifully by the Mix Pre!
But - I like to go to a higher quality recording system than offered by the DSLR's. (Minimum quality camera record would be a professional video camera with line level xlr inputs.) I don't go from the mix pre to my dslr - in that case I record into a Sony PCM-M10 and keep everything double system, syncing it up in post.
So.. My guess is that for what the DR60 costs you won't have the same quality preamps and limiters as in the Sound Devices, but you do have a 4 channel recorder - which is really the way to think about it.
My suggestion is to record externally with either system - don't think about using the audio recorded in the camera for anything but reference.

Norman Bonney May 29th, 2013 07:49 AM

Re: Mix Pre D vs Tascam DR60?

I own the DR60D and think highly of it. Occasionally I have sound situations that require more mobility and sophistication than what I could get going into the camera directly.

I will use it to record two channels of audio each with a second channel recorded at -8db or so (adjustable). Its not as clean as the mix pre for sure but it does record on board. Clean enough for my level of quality.

One other major drawback to the Tascam is that the knobs on the front to adjust volume aren't actually pots that adjust in an analog way. They are digital so there is a slight bump in the audio level as you go up and down. Not usually a problem for me because I am not constantly adjusting them anyway. But could be a problem if you're using it for very critical music production or you're doing a drama with subtle dialog.

I think of the Tascam as a more functional replacement for something like the zoom H4N.