Finally upgrading to 6d - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 21st, 2013, 02:38 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Finally upgrading to 6d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Rickert View Post
I was just at Best Buy thinking of buying one of their t5i bundles (t5 w/18-135mm + extra Canon 55-250mm) for 1249.98 (no sales tax here in Oregon either). They had the 5D Mark II for $1899 (body only). Which was sorely tempting, even though I'd have to buy a lens. $2000 cheaper than the Mark III.
If you go with the Rebel Series, don't bother with kit lens. Even if you want those lenses, you can buy them gently used for cheaper than that bundle.

Unless you really want the extra cross points in auto-focus, and if money is an issue, the T3i or T4i would be cheaper (used or not), and Magic Lantern will get you your continuous recording. Then use the extra money for a better lens. Even the 28mm-135mm f/3.5-5.6 (which I think can be had used for $225 and serve you better than that 18-135. At least it would mount on a mark ii or iii if you by one later. That 250mm on a crop factor is actually 400mm. I can't imagine you'd need that.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:56 AM   #17
Major Player

Well, basically I have about 1500 saved at the moment. I don't do as much freelance as I used to, I have a regular gig now. It would mostly be used for photos and occasional videography. I have seen a number of pieces shot with the EOS Rebel series and they looked pretty good considering it's a crop sensor. Bleah. Maybe I'll just keep saving, hehe.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:38 AM   #18
Major Player

thanx Jon. quite a cost for it. Are there any other VAFs out there that also work good?
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:10 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Rickert View Post
Well, basically I have about 1500 saved at the moment. I don't do as much freelance as I used to, I have a regular gig now. It would mostly be used for photos and occasional videography. I have seen a number of pieces shot with the EOS Rebel series and they looked pretty good considering it's a crop sensor. Bleah. Maybe I'll just keep saving, hehe.
My understanding is, if you're planning on doing photos often, the 7D (and maybe the t5i, though I have no direct experience with it) would be your best bet, then. Example: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/740768-REF/Canon_3814B056AA_EOS_7D_SLR_Digital.html
For video, other than buttons, layout, and swivel screen or not (have one if you can), there isn't a real big difference between any of the rebel series and 7D. Auto focus features are very different but in video modes, you'd be doing it manual anyway.

I stand by my suggestion to ignore the kit lenses, though.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy View Post
I just switched from a 5D2 to a 6D... The moire and aliasing seem identical, as does the resolution and dynamic range. However, there is a tremendous advantage to the 6D in low-light performance and noise. The 6D is on par with the mark III in low-light performance.
I agree. I haven't found the 6D to be any worse than the 5D2 and the low-light is awesome.

I don't think a purchase decision should be made based on MLs raw recording. However I've been able to successfully record a few clips without too much hassle. Would never use it for a paying gig though unless it was a 2nd backup jam cam or something. My plan is to keep shooting normally with the 6D and upgrade my t2i eventually to a used 5D2 and use that for crazy ML stuff.

Michael Kraus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD