6D underexposing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 15th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Major Player

6D underexposing?

Hi folks,
I just got my 6D last week (upgrade from the T2i/550D). It seems to have a lower exposure with the same settings when i do a comparison. And fairly significantly so.
I was doing a comparison with ISO whilst keeping the aperture and shutter speed constant. Of course, the 6D has less noise by far, but is also darker at every ISO.

The lens on the 550D is Sigma 30mm 1.4, compared with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 on the full frame. So surely the lens can be ruled out as the issue.

Is this a known difference? Or something i should be worried about?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 6D underexposing?

Just a long shot - LCD brightness setting?

Or are these comparisons made in an editing system?
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Major Player

I noticed this too in comparison to the t2i. I ran this test a while back ago:

The difference is only about a half-stop. Never bothers me since it's not the meter under exposing, it's just a little darker at the same settings as the t2i.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Tourist

I'm glad I found this thread, and the video above is quite informative. I rented a 6D recently and found it was underexposing compared to my T2i. I wondered what I was doing differently. Eventually I figured out it was just the difference in cameras. I also have a T3i and T4i. The T3i exposes darker than the 6D and my T4i exposes about the same as the 6D.
Austin Ashley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD