"EOS Digital Solution Disk" - what's worth installing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 30th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #1
Inner Circle

"EOS Digital Solution Disk" - what's worth installing?

My Canon 6D came with a software disk called "EOS Digital Solution Disk". It contains the following six utilities:

- Digital Photo Professional
- ImageBrowser EX
- EOS Utility
- PhotoStitch
- Picture Style Editor
- EOS Sample Music

I looked at the Canon web tutorials and got a general idea about what they do. As far as DPP, I decided not to install it and go with LightRoom instead, since - according to many articles I found - it has better tools, and I am already using PhotoShop, so it makes more sense.

What did you consider worth installing out of the other utilities?

What's good and what's not... and why?

Thanks,
Old December 31st, 2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: "EOS Digital Solution Disk" - what's worth installing?

Historically I've loaded the Solution Disk whenever I get a new Canon camera, but I don't tend to use these programs anymore. Lightroom has evolved to be a fantastic application and that is all I use for stills; or maybe photoshop in rare cases. Image Browser is really a poor substitute. DPP is interesting if you ever want an alternate RAW converter, but Adobe RAW is so good anymore it is never an issue. If you ever want to run your camera remotely then EOS Utility does this. For stills and video I just read the files with a card reader and copy them to a local folder and edit from there - no need to use the EOS Utility.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 05:23 AM   #3
Major Player

EOS Utility is needed to load different picture profiles.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Major Player

I have the EOS Utility installed, it does a good job of transferring your media to whatever locations you indicate, I have mine place images by 'date taken' in a specific folder.
Tethered shooting is possible
You can also use the utility for customising copyright Info and owner name etc.
Yeah i use it to load picture profiles too.
I've long ago stopped using any of the other bits as they're way too clunky and not anywhere near whats available these days, Light room is literally light years ahead of DPP.
:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD