DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Time Remaining for Video on 6D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/521377-time-remaining-video-6d.html)

Jamie Sanfilippo February 1st, 2014 11:43 AM

Time Remaining for Video on 6D

Just purchased up a 6D, with my primary use being short info-documentary style video pieces for non-profits. Rented a 5DmkII recently for this purpose and loved it (whereas in the past I had always been a true video-camera user.)

I can't seem to find in the camera, or on any forums, if there is a way to show how much space is remaining on the SD card when shooting video. I know we are limited to 30 minutes recording at a time - not a problem. But how do I see how much data space (and therefore, video record time) is left before my card is filled up? I don't want to be in the middle of an interview and get surprised by a full card.

At this point, I'm not wanting to use Magic Lantern, but will consider if it's my only option. From what I see otherwise, I don't gain alot of functions I need from ML.

Thanks!

Jamie Sanfilippo
Canon 6D
25-105L f4

Byron Jones February 1st, 2014 01:35 PM

Re: Time Remaining for Video on 6D

I am pretty sure that your shot remaining counter in still mode changes to show your minutes remaining in movie mode. I should know for sure, but I actually haven't looked at it in a while. I use larger cards and switch them frequently so I rarely have to worry about it.

Jamie Sanfilippo February 1st, 2014 03:50 PM

Thanks Byron. At the risk of sounding ignorant (or lazy for not looking it up)... does the shot remaining counter show only on the top LCD display. I haven't seen it on the Liveview screen.

Jamie Sanfilippo February 1st, 2014 04:48 PM

Ok... so I think I've got this now.

The shot remain counter shows upper left on the Liveview in Video Mode, but only when NOT recording. Once recording, it disappears. And it shows in the equivalent number of "shots" - not time remaining of video. That's what it seems to me.

And when in still shot mode, this number lines up with the shot counter displayed in the lower right of the back LCD.

However, the strange thing is that the possible shot counter on the top LCD doesn't line up. It's always at 1999. Which is not at all what is showing on my back LCD.

Is that because the top LCD takes into account battery life, whereas the "other" shot counter is purely based on data remaining on the card?

If this is the case, though, why is the top always 1999? Is that the max it shows and will start to decrease once I reach that point?

Byron Jones February 1st, 2014 08:41 PM

I'm pretty sure that your last guess was correct. Most DSLRs have a max number they show. Once the amount remaining actually goes less than that, you will see it start to go down.

Victor Nguyen February 21st, 2014 10:19 PM

I use magic lantern on my 6D and on the top right corner it always shows how much memory I have left and what my frame rate is. During recording it also shows me how much time has elapsed or I can set it to show how much memory has elapsed.