7D to 6D woes! :( at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 24th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

7D to 6D woes! :(

I traded my 7D for a 6D recently, and was thrilled about the increased sensor, until I started to review my video experiments. I loved the look of, for example, a 50mm 1.4 on the 7D. At first I thought I would get the same basic results with the 6D, just larger. So far I'm kinda worried...

There is a lot of noise all the time, blotchy fuzzy grain, and nothing is very sharp, even when tested using one of the contrasty presets and a fast lens on f1.4. Watching it played back the fuzz looks nasty until I pause it, at which point I see an almost-usable still image. I'm wondering if there's something obvious I have neglected to set up in the slightly different menu. I almost feel like I'm recording SD or 720p.

I've had to do radical noise reduction just to get the noise down below ugly. Here is a video of what I'm talking about (with the ISO cranked, but the fuzziness is always there), and some of the NR first aid I've been doing.

On the 6D I have been using Canon EF 17-40mm L and a Canon 50mm 1.4.

Please take a look at my settings and tell me if I'm overlooking something obvious.

Thanks people!
Attached Thumbnails
7D to 6D woes! :(-6d-trouble-settings.jpg  
Casey Danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: 7D to 6D woes! :(

Casey, i can see this...
Auto light optimizer is on off it should be standard.
Long exposure noise reduction (this may be wrong defo) turn off you have it on auto.
turn contrast all the way down on video!! sharp all way down sats are good
ok for stills.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks! And double-thanks for offering constructive advice and not: Hey idiot, ...

Also, I pulled a bunch of files into FCP X and while paused the image was good, but while playing was very fuzzy. However, when I exported the movie, the output file looked very good. What is going on here?
Old February 25th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Trustee

Not sure but let me know any more info you need I have two 6ds. Mine seem great. Try work at 160, 320, 640, 1250, 1600, 2500, 3200, ISO reports are said to be better picture quality in video mode!! Also I have found is that the exposure is a notch darker than most dslrs so I work at one notch to the right of the middle of the meter bar. So a stop up not stop down I think you pronounce it that way. Steve
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, Steve. My main confusion right now is over why my footage--1080p/24p--looks so piss-poor when I viewed in normal viewer apps (iPhoto->Quicktime, FCP X, After Effects 5.5 and MPlayer, but looks comparatively excellent when rendered. ??? Continuing with this workflow would be ass-backwards.

And in FCP X I looked at the proxy file version (this looked even worse) and also the original (the one I'm complaining about :)

I feel like an idiot, as I never had this issue with my 7D.

I love the DIGIC5!
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Trustee

Mmm strange! I am cs6 and all is good! Have you done anything different to the monitor? Any loose connections, playback settings?
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Danielson View Post
Thanks, Steve. My main confusion right now is over why my footage--1080p/24p--looks so piss-poor when I viewed in normal viewer apps (iPhoto->Quicktime, FCP X, After Effects 5.5 and MPlayer, but looks comparatively excellent when rendered. ???
I would assume the FCPX is set for performance rather than higher quality playback. You can toggle it to display higher quality video preview.
Attached Thumbnails
7D to 6D woes! :(-screen_shot_2014-02-25_at_6_37_46_pm-4.png  
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu View Post
I would assume the FCPX is set for performance rather than higher quality playback. You can toggle it to display higher quality video preview.
I knew it! Something really simple. I'll give it a shot at the NLE tomorrow. Thanks, fellas!
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Trustee

One more thing on the edit side of things - sometimes if your canvas in FCPX is scaling to a weird size (i.e. anything but 100%) the image starts to alias. This is especially apparent on text and graphics, but I've also seen it often in detailed video. Make sure you're viewing back at 50% or 100% when assessing quality.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD