Terrible noise 5DIII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 6th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Terrible noise 5DIII

I am having some problems with noise. I have not seen this bad noise before. The footage added was shot in Costa Rica. But if you look at the blacks, you can see banding flickering.. Does anybody here no what is the cause? Off course I was shooting at an high ISO, possible 3200 maybe more. And as I am shooting for a realityshow I have been using the camera quite a lot.

link

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Terrible noise 5DIII

PS Don't pay any attention to the all of sudden blacks, caused by insects attracted to my cameralight..

director/cameraman

Old March 6th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #3
Major Player

director/cameraman

Old March 6th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #4
Trustee

Try playing back the original file. Is it less noisy? If it is less noisy, then the issue is transcoding.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

What aperture was set on the camera? I don't have a 5DIII. I got a 70D and found that if I shoot with a lens with a 1.8 aperture in downtown with the street light and light from the building. I can keep the ISO down to 1600 and get good video. If I shoot with a 2.8 aperture I get more noise that you got.. I can clean it up with Neat Video. Looking at the shots you show the one my the pool you had more light, The other one not has much light.
Michael Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Major Player

I shot it with the 24-105 at F4 its lowest setting.
With test 2 I was also having problems with the street-lighting....
And I did a check on all the original footage... the same.

director/cameraman

Old March 7th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #7
Trustee

Actually on my laptop the shots looks quite good overall. Lens is very slow so you are using ISO to compensate which will give you an increase in noise. You don't get everything for free.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Test one I just seen noise on the back of the chair.
Test two I see a little noise in the back of chair and had camera moving up. I don't know if that was a showing out a window.
Michael Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 03:53 AM   #9
Major Player

On the original footage you can see more noise. Its probably because I used a strong codec that you can not see it well. However i do get strong reactions from certain types of streetlight. Ideas on how to tackle this?

director/cameraman

Old March 9th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

What frame rate and shutter speed did you use? Cost Rica is an NTSC country - power cycle 60hz. You might need to shoot in NTSC mode and shutter at 60 to avoid flicker from lights.
Chris Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #11
Trustee

If you are shooting in 50hz Pal you should have the shutter at 1/60th to limit flicker if in a 60hz country and artificial light. You don't need to shoot NTSC to avoid flicker. Just match the shutter rate to the electric frequency or a multiple of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Norman View Post
What frame rate and shutter speed did you use? Cost Rica is an NTSC country - power cycle 60hz. You might need to shoot in NTSC mode and shutter at 60 to avoid flicker from lights.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks people that has been really helpful. Any thoughts on the following, I got off another forum:

"I downloaded the footage, imported into FCP X, and checked the video scope (Window->Viewer Display->Show Video Scopes). It appears to be underexposed, which will increase noise issues. See Expose To The Right: Exposing to the right - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If exposed "to the right" you can lower the exposure in post, restoring the original darkened ambient feel, while retaining the better noise characteristics of a brighter exposure.

Of course there are elements in the first scene (light in background) where you've already "burned out" the highlight, but there's no meaningful detail there anyway. Protecting non-meaningful highlights can lead to a darker exposure which hurts noise performance.

It actually doesn't look too bad as is from a noise standpoint. I doubt a $20,000 field production camera with a smaller sensor could have done better if exposed similarly. "

director/cameraman

Old March 26th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #13
Major Player

A couple of basic suggestions..
Use a faster lens -- maybe switch to the 24-70 2.8 ? I do some behind-the-scenes shooting on occasion, and when the movie or tv show is being shot with an Alexa and they're shooting at a T/1.8 or lower, I can't afford to lose more than 2 stops by using a slow lens, so I need to use only 2.8 or preferably faster glass to avoid needing to push my ISO too far.
If you have footage that's just too grainy, run it through a grain-reduction plug-in at the end of post. I've been very happy with the results from the Neat plug-in -- though the rendering can be slower than molasses depending on how you set it up. (I tend to have it compare grain over several frames as part of its process, so I expect it to take a long time -- so only fix what you really need to!)
Many of the higher end large sensor HD cameras are remarkably noise-free even at high gain settings. You might find that if you're shooting available light at night in dark areas, your best bet would be an F5 or an F3 with a fast lens.
Or if you have control of the lighting, boost the level a little more...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 04:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks everyone.. I have come to the conclusion, watching later work, that the heat and the intense use of the camera was part of the blame. Also there was the issue of the streetlight working at 1/30 where as i was shooting at 1/50 th (pal) The two got mixed together. But without your feedback I could not have done it.

director/cameraman

Old July 19th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #15
New Boot

Do you have the general settings in DPP (under Preferences) on High Speed rather than High Quality, because Noise Reduction is switched off when you have it set to High Speed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD