DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Advice on new camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/522160-advice-new-camera.html)

Brock Burwell March 10th, 2014 10:17 AM

Advice on new camera

Hey guys I have a quick question on which camera I should get next. I currently use a Canon T3i for all of my video production. I am just really starting out and am looking to upgrade cameras while keeping my old T3i as a backup camera.

Now when it comes to upgrading to a full sensor camera, I get a little confused. There is the 70D, 7D, 60D, 6D, 5DMarkIII, etc

I'm not sure which on is newer, which ones are out of date, which ones have a new model coming out soon, etc.

Do you all have any advice for me? I basically use it for interviews and B-roll shots. I also do some photography of my church and different events in my community.

Robert Benda March 10th, 2014 11:53 AM

Re: Advice on new camera

The 70D and 7D are NOT full sensor cameras, they are crop factor, like your T3i.
The 70D has live autofocus via touchscreen, and facial tracking, making it wonderful to work with for shooting video

The 60D, 5d Mark ii, and mark iii are full frame cameras, and will perform better overall, but especially in low light for you. For the cost, it's hard to beat the quality of the 60D or a gently used 5d Mark ii, but neither has a flip out screen (a small price to pay).

If you're taking pictures at the church and local community, you'll actually get more mileage from good lenses, than from changing cameras. Simply installing Magic Lantern will give you the ability to use custom white balance on your T3i, the big hurdle to fully manual shooting.

If you'll be getting paid for shooting, a backup camera is valid. So are non-kit lenses.

Seth Bloombaum March 10th, 2014 12:52 PM

60D is actually a crop sensor camera, and does have an articulated screen.

It is the predecessor to the 70D, but is still being sold.

The 70D's autofocus is *so* much better than previous AF for video on Canon dSLR... but the 60D is still a very good choice for those who don't value AF. There are a lot of us...

Agreed, a gently used 5Dm2 is one of the best values today, but not all lenses that work on your T3i will work on the 5D. "EF" works, not "EF-S". For third-party lenses you need to go to the web to find out if the lens works on full frame.

Robert Benda March 10th, 2014 12:59 PM

Oops, yes, my bad. I was thinking of the 6D.

The easy way to know if your lenses will work is if it has a small white square on it by the mount, it will NOT work all on lenses, where as a small red circle works on all.

Brock Burwell March 10th, 2014 03:06 PM

I really do enjoy the flip out camera. I don't know how I would get along with out it . It's a life saver for me when I'm running and gunning.

So what are the differences between the Mark ii and the Mark iii?

I've had a lot of people tell me the 6D is the next camera I should get, but i notice that it's fairly old. Is the 7D the next version of the 6D? Is there a newer version coming?

Mark Von Lanken March 10th, 2014 10:51 PM

The 6D and 5D Mk3 are a huge step up in low light abilities over the T3i. I have owned the T2i, T3i, 60D, 70D, 6D and 5D Mk3, so trust me, that statement is from personal experience.

Canon's number sequence doesn't always make sense when it comes to the 6D and 7D, but generally, with every other recent release, the bigger number represents a new model with improvements.

The Mk2 and 7D are relatively old. The Mk3 and 6D are relatively newer and better in low light, especially compared to your T3i.

If you don't need better low light capabilities, the T3i is a decent camera and the money may be better spent on glass, but if you do need better low light, the 6D or 5D Mk3 are both a big step up from the T3i.

Brock Burwell March 11th, 2014 07:41 AM

OK thanks I appreciate it.

Now I remember hearing something about someone selling the 6D on here for pretty cheap. Is that person still selling them?

Les Wilson March 11th, 2014 08:34 AM

@Brock
Don't underestimate the value of the flipout LCD for video. In addition to the usability hand held, cage and tripod mounted, it improves on the creative by enabling shots otherwise done blind on cameras without it.

There is a forum here on DVINFO for selling equipment. You can look there.

Robert Benda March 11th, 2014 09:14 AM

Best values for the dollar, from my point of view:

If you shoot video, I'd buy a 70D next. It does do noticeably better in low light than a T3i, though not massively better.

If you shoot photos, or need MUCH better low light, go ahead and get a 60D or even just another T3i if you are going to stay semi-pro.