VAF-6D Mosaic Engineering Filter - Limitations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 6th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Major Player

VAF-6D Mosaic Engineering Filter - Limitations?

I'm looking for a way to improve the video quality from the 6D. I've heard the Mosaic Engineering VAF -(series) of filters do not work well at short focal ranges. Can anyone confirm this, and at what focal range does the filter start to work? I want to use it with a Canon TS-E 24mm lens for the most part.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: VAF-6D Mosaic Engineering Filter - Limitations?

I have the 5D2 filter and it works great, except for three limitations:
* Doesn't work well on ultrawide lenses (28mm or so is the breaking point.)
* Makes zooms non-parfocal.
* Inconvenient if you shoot video and photos.

That said, it looks great when used properly. :)

I've heard that their later filters work well with wide lenses, so don't let my experience frighten you. The company was open an honest about the above limitations. If they say that the new filters work well for wider lenses, I would trust them.

Of course, images are softer with the filter. That's the idea. The result is more organic and natural. I think it's more "grown up" than the bad sharpness of aliasing or the over-sharpening offered in some cameras.
Old March 9th, 2015, 03:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for that info Jon. I haven't heard back from Mosaic yet. Sounds like I may be S.O.L. Will post what they tell me.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Reply from Mosaic Engineering. "...The VAF-6D works fine with most common wide-angle lenses. At one time way back in the beginning, we did have a problem with the original version of the 5D Mark II filter with wide-angle lenses; however we've long since revised the optics to fix this, and at this point it's basically no longer an issue. Any standard 24mm prime or zoom is now completely fine with the VAF-6D (as well as all our other filters)...."

Good news...

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD