FD to EF Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 12th, 2015, 03:29 AM   #1
Inner Circle

FD to EF Adapter

Hi all - I have a 50mm FD Canon lens - can anyone recommend an adapter to use with my 5D3? The one's I've seen have optics in them but I thought FD lenses were for full frame? Also are there any implications with infinity focus?

Cheers

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: FD to EF Adapter

FD lenses were made to use on 35mm film cameras, so yes-“full frame”. The problem is with the different flange back distances (flange focal distances) between the two lens systems. FD has 42mm, EF has 44mm. This means that if you use one of the less expensive adapters without optics you will able to mount the lens with full frame coverage but you won’t be able to focus to infinity. (Your minimum focus distance will also be shorter and because of that these adapters are often called “macro adapters”.) To reach infinity focus you will need an adapter with glass. Many of them have optics which are inferior to Canon’s. I have a fairly inexpensive one from Optika that performs pretty well. The best one I have used is this one from The Lens Doctor. Note that for your camera you would need the more expensive variant with the focus confirm chip which works with Canon’s Digic 5. Depending on your use, you might also consider having The Lens Doctor permanently convert your lens to EF mount. They can also de-click it.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike - I'll try the lens doctor :)

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Personally, I feel I wouldn't spend the money for such an operation for a 50mm lens.
Now, if you were speaking about (say) a 500mm lens, that would be a different situation!

N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

One consideration is being able to get a nice 50mm f/1.2l FD lens for about 1/3rd the cost of a similar EF lens. Even counting the cost of modification you come out ahead.
Old March 31st, 2015, 05:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Don't know how much good is optically the FD1.2, compared to (say) the Rokinon 50mm cine lens.

But since you already own that lens, I suppose that you can try that conversion.

Cheers,
N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

They are quite good. I don't need to adapt mine since I'm using them with compatible mounts.
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I have a bunch of FD lenses that I have used with MFT with adaptors OK but have always been deeply disappointed with the EF adaptors I have used even the one from the Lens Doctor. There is a 1.3x crop & the image quality just isn't as good as an EF lens. Maybe it's just that the old FD lenses I have just don't have the optical quality of modern Canon 'L' lenses. They work but the quality is 'meh!' even worse shooting than with a 2x teleconverter where you realise that you might as well just crop in an image without the TC.

It's a shame as the FD lenses are built like tanks have lovely long smooth focus throw &/ zoom & generally feel like real quality items unlike some of the modern Canon 'L' lenses that are very plasticky e.g. 100mm F/2.8 Macro
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Do you have any "L" versions of the FD lenses? I have found the optics on those to be quite good.
Old April 8th, 2015, 05:11 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
Do you have any "L" versions of the FD lenses? I have found the optics on those to be quite good.
No I don't & the only non 'L' EF lens that I owned was the 50mm F/1.8 which has the reputation of sharpness & clarity at least as good as an 'L'.

TBH I have always been disappointed with the FD lenses that I have even using them on MFT. I may be lazy but having native lenses with fast AF was far more important to me than having a smooth long throw focus ring. The native Panasonic & Olympus lenses I had for MFT were really really sharp too.

Some people rave about the character of vintage lenses but my experience is that they are soft with a colour cast so I prefer the more clinical look of modern lenses.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

What do you think of the Adapter Fotodiox Pro fd to eos for canon 6d?
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #12
Trustee

https://www.facebook.com/EdmikaInc/?fref=nf,
best FD/FL to EOS adapters, the guy is legit, i got one from him for FL 1.2 a few months ago, now i need another one, will contact him again,
his adapter has no glass elements, easy to install and fits great
Old August 9th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I have 10 fd lenses and would like a very good Adapter for canon 6d with AF chip,but I do not know what is best?
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD