DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Canon 1Dx Mark II (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/533287-canon-1dx-mark-ii.html)

Maurice Covington December 21st, 2016 09:11 AM

Canon 1Dx Mark II

Is anyone using the Canon 1Dx Mark II to shoot wedding videos? If so, how do you like the camera for the job?

Douglas Call December 23rd, 2016 11:53 PM

Re: Canon 1Dx Mark II

Personally have only used the camera for still shot photography so far. Are you thinking of using the 1DXII in 1080p or 4K Movie Mode? Were you aware of the warnings that you have a very limited amount of time to shoot 4K @ 59.94p. The cautions are on Page 316 of the Canon EOS 1DXII Instruction Manual.

Warning:
Shooting in 4K 59.94p/50.00p
When shooting 4K 59.94P/50.00P MJP movies, use a CFast card 2.
Even with a high-speed CF Card, only for an extremely short period of time can be recorded at one time (a maximum of approx. 10 sec.).
(Movie shooting stops automatically.)

Just didn't want you thinking you were going to have sufficient time to shoot those super important sequences like when the couple says I do in 4K @ 59.94p since there is a good chance the camera may shut down because of heating issues before that 30 or 40 seconds of special moments is recorded. However if you shoot that sequence entire at 1080p you'd be golden, plus you'd be using the full sensor.

Vishal Jadhav December 25th, 2016 12:20 AM

Douglas,

In fact that was the only thing that made me decide against buying the 1DX MII and instead buy the 5DMIV as the 30p was.
I have never shot a wedding so dont know much , however the 5DMIV gives great results in lowlight and the quality of the colour tones is what i love about it.
The flip side of the 4k video is that the file sizes are huge and since it cant record externally at 4k you would need a pile of cards to shoot an entire wedding.

Chad Whelan December 26th, 2016 11:20 PM

I think you are not understanding the manuel. I believe it is stating that when using a cf which is compact flash card you can only record 60p for 10 seconds. If you use a cfast card you will be fine. I have seen no reports of this camera overheating at all. I do not own one but have been researching extensively and do plan on buying this camera and shooting wedding work. The image seriously blows me away for video!

Sabyasachi Patra December 29th, 2016 01:16 AM

The only issue that I find with 1DX II is that it has a CF card slot and a CFast 2.0 slot. It should have been two CFast 2.0 slots. I was shooting a corporate film and the client wanted to fondle the 1DXII and managed to change the recording slot from CFast to CF. The shots got screwed up as the CF card can't record the 4K beyond a few seconds. Nevertheless, the 1DX II was for alternate angles and the main film was with the C300, so I emerged unscathed. Since then, I remove the CF card so that there is no mistake ever again.

I have shot long sequences with 50P in CFast 2.0 and it is not a problem at all.

I don't do weddings. For weddings and 1080p delivery, 80D with its variangle viewfinder is a good bet. Of course the 80D won't be as sharp as the 1DX II.

Sharing the link to the review of 1DX II that I had done in May Canon EOS 1DX Mark II Review

Noa Put December 29th, 2016 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice Covington (Post 1925142)
Is anyone using the Canon 1Dx Mark II to shoot wedding videos? If so, how do you like the camera for the job?

Do you need a camera that can take pictures as well? In such a case a c100 mark II seems like a much more capable camera to shoot weddings. Also, how video friendly is the 1Dx, does it have zebras, peaking, histogram, magnify screen to focus while recording etc and all other necessary features that are needed to do video reliably?

On cinema5d there was a comparison between the 1dc and the 1dx and according to them the 1080p mode is very disappointing with strong aliasing and a soft image, you can read that art here: https://www.cinema5d.com/canon-1d-x-...-better-video/

Douglas Call December 29th, 2016 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Whelan (Post 1925388)
I believe it is stating that when using a cf which is compact flash card you can only record 60p for 10 seconds. If you use a cfast card you will be fine. I have seen no reports of this camera overheating at all.

We'll I guess I need to take out the DX1 MkII and let it rip at 60P in 4K for about 2 minutes and see what happens. I have the newest Lexar 256GB Professional 3600x CFast 2.0 cards which record at 540MB/s.

Douglas Call December 29th, 2016 02:13 PM

Here is another Review of 1DXII vs Canon C300 with very favorable comments on the Video quality of the 1DXII.
Field Review: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Performs Double Duty

Noa Put December 29th, 2016 02:26 PM

That's favorable comments for 4K recording, the question is, is a 500 to 800mb/s codec not a bit overkill for weddings?

Douglas Call December 30th, 2016 09:34 AM

I think there are a few facts that may not have been clearly stated about the differences between 1DXII & C300II

Sensor Size
C300II 24.6 x 13.8 mm full frame

1DXII 36 x 24 mm full frame
1DXII 4K Cropped sensor size approx. 24 x 14 mm

Maximum Frame Rate @ 4K
C300II 29.97fps

1DXII 59.94fps

Recording Rates at 4K
C300II 410 Mbps @ 29.97

1DXII 800 Mbps @ 59.94

So the bottom line is that C300II can’t shoot at 60fps in 4K so that is not comparable and the actual size of the sensor used for the C300II and 1DXII during 4K shooting is approx. the same.
The data rates are quite different but the point of using the 1DXII for a wedding photographer would be the fact that when shooting that 30 to 40 seconds it takes for the Bride & Groom to say I Do etc. the 1DXII can capture twice as many 4K images than the C300II can produce. So when it comes to selecting that Halo shot for the perfect album cover or for inclusion on the thank you cards that go out to all the guest you will physical have better selection options with 1DXII.
But there again I’m thinking of using the 1DXII as a still camera photographer that happens to have a the ability to capture shots in 4K mode @ 60p or in full frame mode at 14fps. So that lets me determine which is best for my application.
I think the 1DXII can be a valuable tool for action sequences as well. When shooting stunt jet skiers at 60p in 4K you will get better results because of the high rate of motion in these action sequences. You may find that 30p @ 4K doesn’t quite cut it.

However this being said I would never try to pass off a 1DXII as the correct tool for cinematic production! The C300II is far better suited for this type application.