Canon 5d IV or...... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 12th, 2017, 08:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon 5d IV or......

Hey all,

I started shooting DSLR video with the Canon 5D Mark ii, now the III, and now with 4k on the rise and the new Canon 5D IV been looking into getting that camera.

However there are a couple things that are not deal breakers but wish they were different:
1) cropped 4K instead of full frame 4k
2) Huge file sizes when shooting 4K
3) 120fps 1080p would be nice.

Other then that I can live with everything else.....I love the Canon Colors and image. Anyone done any tests on the color quality between the Canon and maybe the Sony AS7ii or other 4K DSLRs / cameras in that price range? Anyone switched from Canon to another brand and happy with the results?

Thanks for advice!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Canon 5d IV or......

I owned the 5dmkII and 5dmkIII back in the day - I only had the mkIII for a short while before I vowed never again to buy a Canon DSLR for video! I find it hard to recommend any DSLR as a primary camera these days, given the options that are now available for just a few thousand dollars more.

That said, the 5DmkIV looks like a big improvement, and if you've made do with the mkIII up until this point, then the mkIV is certainly going to be a nice upgrade. You probably already have a lot of the necessary extras to make it workable in real-use scenarios, so the real cost of upgrading is not much more than the camera body price alone, and maybe a wider lens to suit the cropped 4k.

My only bit of advice would be to hold out for NAB if you can. You never know what else might get announced there (C100mkIII? FS5mkII?) that actually has all the features you want for video. And if nothing of interest gets announced, it's a good time to be buying after NAB anyway as a lot of 2nd hand gear starts hitting the market, and prices on current models might get dropped in response to new camera announcements. In the mean time why not rent a mkIV to try it out on a few jobs?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD