New 6dii announced - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 5th, 2017, 03:51 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: New 6dii announced

Exactly.
And complaining about a lack of video features on that camera is barking up at the wrong tree.

The video market is not the sales majority, so Canon is focusing on surpassing their competition, as they view it.
If you want a large sensor camcorder, the company offers the C series (and the XC for the less demanding users).

N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 04:20 AM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fotis View Post

The video market is not the sales majority, so Canon is focusing on surpassing their competition, as they view it.
If you want a large sensor camcorder, the company offers the C series (and the XC for the less demanding users).
I hear there's a potential Nikon D750 replacement that will have 4K.... The D750 is a few years old now. It's better than the 6D Mark II and currently cheaper. So the trouble is Canon isn't surpassing its competition in my opinion. Just tailgating it. :)

Hybrid cameras that can do both video and photos have a place in today's Professional workload. It's a market Canon don't seem to want to explore seriously. That's fine; there are other alternatives. It's ironic though that Canon have given the best AF for video in their DSLR's, yet drop the ball with other useful and dare I say essential video features.

Quote:
Exactly.
And complaining about a lack of video features on that camera is barking up at the wrong tree.
If video isn't a key aspect of this camera, why are we discussing the 6D at all here in a dedicated video forum? Honestly you crack me up. LOL

Last edited by Steve Burkett; July 5th, 2017 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Clarification
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 07:48 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
I hear there's a potential Nikon D750 replacement that will have 4K....
Has to be, currently Nikon is offering a 200euro cashback at this moment on the D750 which could mean they are clearing stock before they release a new version. Nikon however doesn't seem to be so focused on the video side which might change now.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
I hear there's a potential Nikon D750 replacement that will have 4K.... The D750 is a few years old now. It's better than the 6D Mark II and currently cheaper. So the trouble is Canon isn't surpassing its competition in my opinion. Just tailgating it. :)
Usually, Canon is fairly conservative about features, compared to Nikon. Rarely we see cases with firmware problems, oil leaks etc.
Obviously, the competition from Nikon in the last decade pushed Canon to bring better cameras quicker to market.
And that's why we Canon users hope to see Nikon competing harder with Canon.

Quote:
Hybrid cameras that can do both video and photos have a place in today's Professional workload. It's a market Canon don't seem to want to explore seriously. That's fine; there are other alternatives. It's ironic though that Canon have given the best AF for video in their DSLR's, yet drop the ball with other useful and dare I say essential video features.
I guess that they are 'testing' things like dual-pixel AF in dSLRs, but they want to direct serious video people to their camcorder series (eg C100) after their technology is refined.
I would expect this technology from the 80D (DPAF, touch screen, etc) finding a place in the C100mk3.

If you see carefully, there seem to be a pattern with the low-end full frame dSLRs, which recycle screens and AF systems from their previous APS counterparts:
30D -> 5D
50D -> 5D2 (and a divergence follows)
60D -> 6D (I think that the AF of the 6D is unique to this model)
80D -> 6D2

It seems that the 2-digit EOS cameras serve as testbeds for the single-digit models.

Quote:
If video isn't a key aspect of this camera, why are we discussing the 6D at all here in a dedicated video forum? Honestly you crack me up. LOL
Good question.
Direct it to the people who started this thread, please.

N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Usually, Canon is fairly conservative about features
To put it mildly. LOL

Quote:
I guess that they are 'testing' things like dual-pixel AF in dSLRs, but they want to direct serious video people to their camcorder series (eg C100) after their technology is refined.
I would expect this technology from the 80D (DPAF, touch screen, etc) finding a place in the C100mk3.
And we all welcome its announcement some when. And no doubt the same crippling of features to protect higher models plus the inflated price over and above its immediate competitors. Canons stock in trade.
Somehow other companies can get the balance right, whilst admittedly get the AF wrong. Still it ain't a perfect World.

Quote:
Good question.
Direct it to the people who started this thread, please.

N.F.
Well that would be difficult. I'm not even sure if he started the thread to slag the camera off or if to praise it. I do appreciate your comments Nick and agree with some of them. I just feel that if you include a feature, it should be done properly, regardless of whether its the primary function or not. And if not done well, can be criticised for it. We live in a time where technology is expected to excel at multiple functions. Just take a look at your Smartphone or do you not expect it to do more than just make phone calls, its primary function.

Perhaps you can not appreciate the irony that a dedicated Photographers tool in your eyes will benefit from one of the best Video AF in the business, but perhaps some of the worst video features of any current DSLR or Mirrorless camera. Maybe if Canon hadn't started this whole DSLR video revolution with the 5D Mark II, maybe if it hadn't given us reliable AF, Canon DSLR would receive the same indifferent reaction to its video features that Nikon enjoys. If it is picked on for its soft HD and lack of video features, its because Canon has contributed a lot more than you think to video, especially in the last decade and that makes some of their recent failures in video the more bitter.
Old July 28th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #51
Major Player

So Steve Bleasdale did you keep with the 6DII orders despite all that online "noise" elsewhere about dynamic range etc?

I was pleasantly surprised by the price of the 6DII at 2k, the more so as genuine grey suppliers are offering at not much more than 1.5k.

However I have a stack of new shoots in the next little while, some photo, some video, and some photo with video and I didn't want to wait around for expert opinions to report on the 6DII's real world results so I added another 5D-IV. The latter is even cheaper now at £2331 at Panamoz and only a whisker more if you call UK seller HDEW (next day delivery as well).

The 5D-IV's can be modified to c-log via authorised repairers for just a few quid but I'm not needing that anyway.

I'm still of the opinion that 4k is a solution looking for a problem when it comes specifically to weddings. I think it will only become requested by mainstream clients when various video vendors as it were hype up to clients that 4k ought to be an essential pre-requisite. I can use 4k with my 5D-IVs (not that most would want to obviously!) and thats gorgeous, but so it full HD :- )

The 30min time limit still bugs me. What I will look to do when time allows is get a cheap simple smartphone for use with each 5D-IV which I can then use not only as a fully tiltable and removable screen but also for all the other functions such as focusing, changing ISO etc.

BTW I added a Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art lens recently. Not something you'd do much video with for ovbious reasons but it is gorgeous and only £1k :- )

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 11:17 AM   #52
Trustee

Hi Peter i cancelled the 6d ii from wex and did what you said from panamoz at 1500 each so saved 1000. Coming on Tuesday. They will suit me fine because the old 6ds i sold where excellent in low light with my 2.8 lenses. with the vision tech profile and impultz luts for vision tech,. the footage is ace. I dont need 4k.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #53
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post

I'm still of the opinion that 4k is a solution looking for a problem when it comes specifically to weddings.

Pete
Pete, was HD a solution looking for a problem? Was DVD a solution looking for a problem? Is Digital Downloads a solution looking for a problem?

Technology develops and there is a gap between those who embrace it early and those who embrace it late. I recall when first starting out on Weddings to find a website whose owner opposed widescreen cameras. His website had a small section devoted to explaining to clients how widescreen just meant a whole lot of wasted space and that 4:3 was a better format for video. Of course he was speaking nonsense as many widescreen TV shows, movies and even Wedding videos have demonstrated. All I saw from this argument was a man trying very hard to justify why he had yet to move with the times and upgrade to a widescreen capable camera.

I see similar arguments with 4K. Made by those either lacking 4K capable cameras, or those who do, but lack the means via either their style of work or PC limitations to deliver on it.

Now I agree, we are a long way from 4K being essential. Still I feel clients benefit in the long run from those who adopt it early, just as those who were the first to deliver via DVD and those who embrace HD before it became part and parcel of our service. By all means, feel free and wait for it to be an essential part of the service, but don't pretend that 4K hasn't a valid place in the future of video. Its not a solution to any problem, just yet another small step in the same way HD, DVD and digital delivery has been for Wedding videos previously.
Old July 30th, 2017, 03:54 PM   #54
Trustee

If anyone is interested in the so called noise about the limitations of the dynamic range, please check out this article from DpReview who have conducted their own tests.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/34...-dynamic-range

Now I am of the opinion that DpReview are very Pro Canon, having run plenty of sponsored content in relation to Canon Cameras. So I feel their article is by no means a senseless attack on the camera and raise genuine concerns of the 6D Mark ii for Photography purposes. Its video features, I still feel are extremely poor and aside from great focus and a swivel screen, not worthy of Professional interest. However that is my personal opinion, which others are free to disagree with.

What isn't in doubt is that comments on DpReview that were previously shifted heavily towards support for this camera have now become much more negative. It would be better to wait and see how Canon respond to this before committing for either Photography or Video needs.
Old July 31st, 2017, 01:01 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised by the price of the 6DII at 2k, the more so as genuine grey suppliers are offering at not much more than 1.5k.
Isn't it so that "grey" suppliers sell their camera excl VAT which also explains the price differences? I also see Panasonic camera's offered at a lower price by these kind of suppliers but as a company I don't see much advantage ordering from them. Personally I would prefer to order from a reputable company so I will have my 2 year warranty but also much better customersupport. VAT I can deduct anyway as a company so the pricedifference becomes so small it's not worth ordering from them.

Quote:
I'm still of the opinion that 4k is a solution looking for a problem when it comes specifically to weddings. I think it will only become requested by mainstream clients when various video vendors as it were hype up to clients that 4k ought to be an essential pre-requisite.
I only see 4K as a solution instead of a problem, has brought nothing but advantages to me. I can either deliver in HD and use the cropping ability to my advantage which can make a big difference as a solo shooter.
4K is more detailed when downrezzed to HD compared to when I shoot HD, it also produces less noise when you downscale.
I can sell the client a 4K package which I currently have as a paid option, the client might not have the necessary hardware to play the 4K file on their TV yet but they will in several years and only then they will realize the advantage of their wedding in 4K when they view it on their hugh 4K tv.
If I deliver a 4K file my clients can also take framegrabs from the film which is requested more then once, I just tell them how they can do that in a mediaplayer and eventhough this is no replacement for a photographer it is a great addition for missed shots on the photographers part.

Everyone has a choice to take advantage of the possibilities 4K has to offer, ofcourse you can deliver for years to come in HD, even deliver dvd's because that is also not dead yet and your clients will be happy regardless when it's well shot and edited. I only think it's not smart to wait until your clients specifically request it because that moment might never come, it is up us us to either take advantage of the technology or to educate our clients about the advantages.
Old August 5th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #56
Trustee

OK so i received the new 6d ii, and can safely say this will be my main camera during weddings from now on. Yesterday the full frame look was immense, the auto focus system the best i have come across, the facial tracking superb. The low light yesterday was tremendous working at 2.8 all night with out the need for a 1.8 lens and lights. Tracking the bride down the very long isle was a complete breeze. The color from my vision tech color profile is lovely to grade and even no grade is beautiful. By the way the dynamic range in video is great but i know a few bad reviews in photography mode.
Yes the 4k boo boys will put me down but i state if this 6dii was 4k then i mean everyone would just turn to it. Tremendous piece of kit. Steve
Old August 5th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Quote:
the full frame look was immense
I believe you had a 6D before, what has changed in terms of full frame look? How much more immense is it now compared to the previous 6D? Would be great if you could post a framegrab to see the difference.

Last edited by Noa Put; August 5th, 2017 at 01:46 AM. Reason: zpelling
Old August 5th, 2017, 02:41 AM   #58
Trustee

In my opinion it is the same as the old 6d which had a great look anyway, the only difference is the camera is now lighter has the tilt swing screen and has the touch screen with great auto and tracking system, After today's wedding and Sundays i will try look at a old 6d video footage and screen frame and a new one and see what its like.
Old August 5th, 2017, 04:12 AM   #59
Trustee

Just quickly before today's wedding, here is yesterdays wedding all untouched, straight from mark ii 6d vision tech profile. Cant seem to find old 6d footage as delete after two months but will look at difference
Attached Thumbnails
New 6dii announced-2.jpg   New 6dii announced-3.jpg  

New 6dii announced-4.jpg  
Old August 5th, 2017, 04:25 AM   #60
Trustee

Pic of new camera
Attached Thumbnails
New 6dii announced-fullsizerender.jpg  
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD