DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   New 6dii announced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/534317-new-6dii-announced.html)

Steve Bleasdale June 29th, 2017 12:42 AM

New 6dii announced

Arghhh no 4K , canon what is wrong with you

Steve Game June 29th, 2017 01:08 AM

Re: New 6dii announced

It's that 'market segmentation' again.

Steve Bleasdale June 29th, 2017 01:12 AM

Yes i suppose there are the just canon lovers like Sony and Panasonic and Canon know that!! The specs are good but just not good enough for other people to get the 6dii.

Nick Fotis June 29th, 2017 08:35 AM

Well, if it offered 4K video in an SD card, it wouldn't be very nice (it would be terribly compressed).

I am very interested in that model, it offers a good upgrade from my 6D. If the HD video has very low moire and rolling shutter at 60 fps, I shall be very satisfied.

The dual pixel AF and touch screen were hoped for, if it offers good performance, it will be a very capable full frame dSLR.

N.F.

Steve Burkett June 29th, 2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Fotis (Post 1933914)
Well, if it offered 4K video in an SD card, it wouldn't be very nice (it would be terribly compressed).

N.F.

So much like the GH5, GH4 etc, various Sony Mirrorless cameras and ironically enough Canon's very own C200 if not shooting RAW.

Cary Knoop June 29th, 2017 11:29 AM

Wow, a whopping full HD!

Nick Fotis June 29th, 2017 01:57 PM

Well, if you know of a full frame dSLR offering 4K video at two thousand dollars, I am all ears.

N.F

Gary Huff June 29th, 2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Fotis (Post 1933921)
Well, if you know of a full frame dSLR offering 4K video at two thousand dollars, I am all ears.

The original Sony A7S.

Steve Bleasdale June 29th, 2017 02:22 PM

Just ordered two 6dii from wex uk, i am liking the spec apart from 4k but thats not that important the other specs are

Steve Burkett June 29th, 2017 09:33 PM

Didn't take long for the Downfall Hitler Rant Parody to feature the 6D Mark II. Kind of says it all really.

Noa Put June 30th, 2017 05:51 AM

If you don't need 4K and if they did improve the moire issues that plagued the previous version then this can be a nice upgrade, only not sure how many are willing to spend 2130euro for it (launchprice in Belgium) when you can get a sony a7s for 2000. The 6D will find it's audience for sure but it's clear that Canon is not interested in innovating for video with the dslr line of camera's, if you want something for more serious videowork then you need to invest into their c-line of camera's.

Steve Burkett June 30th, 2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1933938)
If you don't need 4K and if they did improve the moire issues that plagued the previous version then this can be a nice upgrade, only not sure how many are willing to spend 2130euro for it (launchprice in Belgium) when you can get a sony a7s for 2000. The 6D will find it's audience for sure but it's clear that Canon is not interested in innovating for video with the dslr line of camera's, if you want something for more serious videowork then you need to invest into their c-line of camera's.

I'd love Canon to give me a good excuse to invest in their c-line cameras. I like the size and control layout, colour of the video it produces and an auto focus second to none. Why, oh why then Canon, do you have to get so much else wrong. At least below £10000.

Steve Bleasdale June 30th, 2017 09:47 AM

Footage from this new 6dii will be on par with the excellent canon latest 5d, but this will have the articulated screen the dual pixel af the best in the business the full frame look not the micro thirds (tried) to make the full frame look. I am not bothered about 4k i am bothered about my story line and wedding feature films which i may say are spot on after this years 17 happy couples feedback, who for some reason keep getting me new clients for 2018/19??

Peter Riding June 30th, 2017 10:24 AM

Steve Bleasdale: If you can put off your purchase for a few weeks you should be able to purchase 6DII's at far below main dealer prices. For example the 5D Mark IV is still going for £3349, down from £3600, but grey market from the well-reported Panamoz go for £2441 and are always in stock. If you prefer to get grey market via a UK dealer with a physical presence you can get them the next day for just £2519 from the equally well-respected Hdew.

Canon main dealers are only 12 months warranty whereas the two grey ones I mentioned are 3 years. Hdew apparently fixes any warranty repairs via a UK main dealer service facility anyway.

I have 5D IV's and 5DS-R's via grey and these can be registered with Canon Professional Services anyway. That hasn't been possible to do online when I've tried in the past but all I had to do was quote the serial numbers and invoice copies and CPN added the kit.

I added three Canon 600EXII-RT flashguns via Hdew a few days ago. These were £349 each instead of the usual main dealer £530. They arrived by 9am the next day and this time I was able to add them to Canon Professional Services entirely online.

I switched from Panasonic video cams to Canon dSLRs for video about a year ago once the 5D-IV's proved such a winner. Sometimes I use a 5DS-R for video as well. I use some older 5's with Magic Lantern so that the 30min max clip is circumvented, plus their firmware's ability to work manual focus via a small screen within a screen.

The articulating screen in the 6DII looks very useful - though I'm not sure if I'd be able to clip a Zacuto Z-Finder on it as I do sometimes with non-articulating cams. Meanwhile where there's a will there's a way and sometimes I use a metal cased pocket-sized mirror to check compositions in awkward positions:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The other biggie with the 6DII for me would be its 5 point body stabilisation for video.

I agree with you as regards 4k. It seems like a solution looking for a problem in my view. But if 4k is pushed as a "must have" it is bound to take over whether its worthwhile or not.

I might be more interested in 8k in due course principally because of the ability to crop. That works great with stills with the 5DS-R as its 50mp RAW (can give 8 different 10"x8" stills from each frame without any interpolation) means I don't really need to use long lenses any more.

I've nearly bought the GH5 and its little brothers lots of times but I'm just not finding these convincing. The GH5's articulating screen and unlimited file times are pluses but the robustness doesn't feel like it competes. In particular the Canon 50mm f1.2L and the Sigma 20mm f1.4 Art make the little Panny lenses like toys to me. I'll have to put up with heavy and edit in post with Mercalli if I just can't stabilise on the move enough compared to a little Panny G80.

Pete

Noa Put June 30th, 2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Riding (Post 1933945)
I've nearly bought the GH5 and its little brothers lots of times but I'm just not finding these convincing. The GH5's articulating screen and unlimited file times are pluses but the robustness doesn't feel like it competes. In particular the Canon 50mm f1.2L and the Sigma 20mm f1.4 Art make the little Panny lenses like toys to me.

That is just the strength of m4/3, the possibility to use very small and very light lenses which perform very well but you can just as well get some high quality and bigger/heavier glass like the Nocticron or Olympus pro line. And you don't need to worry that the camera falls apart, my gh3 has stood the test of time and the gh5 is a level up when it comes to build quality, that's a camera that can take a beating. :)