Low Light video - Kit lens T2i - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 16th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #31
Trustee

Thanks for posting these (Alex / George). These answered a couple of questions I had :)
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kanter View Post
I don't agree. The kit lens is very good optically, just not very fast for low light situations. It performs very well outdoors, and has IS as well. I use it when I want to travel light.

Besides the 50mm 1.8, you need to spend some good bucks for fast lenses.
As you say, the kit lens is good enough for outdoor HD video during daylight. Many people are prejudiced against it because of the reputation of Canon's previous 18-55mm kit lens, which was optically inferior and had no IS.

Slow IS zooms are GREAT for walk about daylight shooting, for the money at least. I bought the 550d as a body only camera, but only because I already had an EF-S 17-85mm IS, which is even better. It is still slow, but is optically better than the kit and obviously has a bit more range.

As far as spending big bucks for fast lenses, I would have to differ. I have picked up a nice collection of (9) Takumar prime lenses from 50mm up to 300. All of which can be had for relatively cheap on ebay. They are all very fast, and amazingly well suited towards serious creative film making for a number of reasons:

Build quality - they are like tanks.
Colour rendering - I compared my SMC 50mm f/1.4 to my EF 50mm f/1.8: no contest Tak colours way better, vivid, saturated.
Sharpness - most of these lenses are sharp enough even wide open to exceed the resolution of 1080p images
Focus action - just try one. They have this amazingly retro feel. Superbly damped with lovely momentum.

For a wider fast prime, there is a gap in the affordable Takumar range, so I got a Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 close focus S/N 28### for £30. There are many 28mm Viv's on ebay, and not all are equal. The serial designates the manufacturer, and many are series 1 lenses in all but name.

The 85mm f/1.8 and the 50mm f/1.4 are legendary, and will set you back a bit more, but still good value. The 50/1.4 destroys the Canon 50/1.8 for video, and is cheaper.

Since I bought my lenses a couple of years ago, the prices have gone up considerably and continue to do so, but there are still stunning bargains to be had.

My top tip would be get hold of a 55mm Takumar. They are still very cheap, don't suffer from the yellowing or inflated prices that the 50mm/1.4 does, and some 55 f/1.8s are rated by many to be sharper and over all pretty close in performance.

I just checked ebay completed items, and on the first page, there are 2 55's which went for £16 (about $24) and one which went for £9 ($14) !!

If you do go for a 50/1.4 tak, you can clear the inevitable yellowing with a £10 UV party lamp in a few days, which will give you up to an extra stop of light.

Some Tak 50/1.4 footage which shows off the nice colours and contrast in low light:

I sincerely hope more people discover these amazing lenses.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Very good colors. But this is far from a low light scene. At least with the light kits I can see.
Old April 25th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #34
Major Player

You are right. I just grabbed the first thing I found on Vimeo, and it's not a useful low light example.

I guess I will have to post my own example.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #35
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woods View Post
Not to threadjack, but has anyone actually gotten just the camera body? I placed an order on March 6th at Amazon and it's still listed as a pre-order. Seems like that at other places as well.
I ordered just the body from NewEgg, and they sent me the kit instead for the same price. Thumbs up to NewEgg.
Jason Pittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #36
Regular Crew

A camlight can also be a perfect solution for nearby lowlightvideoshoots.
Jan Vanhoecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #37
Major Player

Not the best field test, but might provide you something:

Old June 20th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Maurer View Post
Not the best field test, but might provide you something:

T2i 50mm F1.4 vs T2i kit 18-55mm F3.5-5.5 on Vimeo
The 50mm f1.4 lets in 16x more light than the kit lens at 55mm f5.6. It's a drastic difference in performance.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:26 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Hèhè, now i know what to buy next...
But what with it's DOF-value?
Is there a lens that does lowlight & great DOF at the same time?
Jan Vanhoecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM   #40
Major Player

Yeah, the 50mm. At F1.4, the DoF is amazing.
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:43 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Vanhoecke View Post
great DOF
What does "great" mean anyway? Are you either looking for shallow depth of field or where everything is in focus?
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Vanhoecke View Post
Hèhè, now i know what to buy next...
But what with it's DOF-value?
Is there a lens that does lowlight & great DOF at the same time?
It depends on what you mean by "great DOF". Some would take that to be "great looking, shallow focus", and others would think "great, deep focus."

For deep focus, you can use a wide lens and move your subject relatively far away, but not too far from the background. You can open up the lens for lots of light and have everything in relatively sharp focus. Unfortunately, your subject will be small. You can't get lots of light and deep focus on an extreme closeup - even with small chip cameras. The EF 24/1.4L would be nice.

For shallow focus, any f/1.2 or f/1.4 lens will do. Telephotos give shallower focus than wide lenses. An 85/1.2 or 85/1.4 would generally be the fastest telephotos around. After that there is the 135/2, 200/1.8, and 200/2. Move the subject close to the camera and have the background far away for the shallowest DOF look.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:45 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Just FYI this is something I made testing a 550D/T2i with a EF-S18-200mm F3.5-5.6 for low light.

YouTube - Canon Kiss x4 / Rebel T2i / 550D test [LQ] [Boring]

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD