DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Fed-Ex just came... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/10162-fed-ex-just-came.html)

Joe Sacher May 27th, 2003 02:36 PM

Fed-Ex just came...

... and I finished unpacking my GL2. I played around with it a little while and set the battery to charge. Now, I'm having trouble concentrating on work. I want to go home a play a little. I didn't expect the camera until tomorrow or Thursday. Zotz gets things shipping pretty fast. I'm thinking that moving from a lowly little ZR-45 will be just a bit of an upgrade. :)

Joe Cirino May 27th, 2003 03:06 PM

Nice!

Joe, What were your reasons in purchasing a GL2 as opposed to a VX2000? I am about to buy this week, and need to make the right descsian. I really like the GL2.

Thanks and enjoy your fruits of labor!

Steve Withers May 27th, 2003 04:07 PM

I had ordered a GL2 last week, not expecting it until tomorrow. It came today. It rocks. =)

Joe Sacher May 27th, 2003 04:40 PM

Re: Nice!

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Cirino : Joe, What were your reasons in purchasing a GL2 as opposed to a VX2000? I am about to buy this week, and need to make the right descsian. I really like the GL2.-->>>

The only reason I found the VX2000 better than the GL2 was the low light capability. I realized that moving from a Canon ZR-45 to the GL2 is going to be such a vast improvement to the low light capabilities, that I just won't look at the slightly better low light I could have gotten with the VX2000. The lense glass is much better on the GL2. I am looking at doing some nature photography, so the 20x zoom is a nice feature.

Having the ZR-45, I assume that colors between them will most likely match a little better than between the Sony. This may not be true. I also will be able to use SD cards in both. This is a plus.

The final straw that broke the camels back was the 30p mode. Much of what I shoot will be downloaded off the web. 30p is perfect for that. I also like the idea of filming with the capability of getting a nice snapshot that doesn't loose any quality because of deinterlacing.

For me, the GL2 just came out ahead.

Joe Cirino May 27th, 2003 04:56 PM

Thanks Joe for your answer. Have you noticed the problem a few threads down with the "keyhole" effect on some GL2's?

Joe Sacher May 27th, 2003 04:59 PM

I've seen to post about the keyhole effect. I'm going to play with that tonight. Being that it is only in certain conditions and outside normal viewing area, I'm not too worried. I always crop my computer compressed media, and normal TVs crop about the same, so I don't see this as a real big issue for me.

Ken Tanaka May 27th, 2003 05:20 PM

Joe & Joe,
Don't worry about the "keyhole" problem. It's really no biggie. Just enjoy, enjoy! Master that monster!

Joe Cirino May 27th, 2003 05:36 PM

So is this problem noticed in a final DVD output? I must not be understanding something. Is this only when using an editing software such as Final Cut? I do notice an uneveness when editing in final cut around the rim of the clip, but is not a problem when exported to DVD hence TV. Its almost an area that outlines the viewer in Final Cut that surounds the clip in fadded black. Is this the "keyhole" effect you speak of? I hate to buy a camera that only works in some occasions, and not in others due to this defect.

Can someone bring clarity to this dilema?

Thanks...

Joe, that is a wonderful camera, and im looking forward to purchasing one, providing it meets quality.

Ken Tanaka May 27th, 2003 05:55 PM

I don't want to start that keyhole thread over again here, particularly since we've analyzed it ad nauseum in the original thread.

No, it has nothing to do with your editor. And your description does not sound exactly like the problem. It's a light fall-off in the corners under some conditions.

Every camera I've owned or used has some quirck. The GL-2 is a fine camera. But you should get the camera that you feel good about buying.

Joe Sacher May 27th, 2003 11:11 PM

I'm gonna be happy with this camera. Low light is fine, as long as you run it manual and tune it to the settings. You don't get too much noise for 6db gain, when the sharpness is turned down. It is a very nice upgrade from my ZR-45. I'm sure the VX2000 does a little better, but I'll take what this camera gives.