DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   2 Channel Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/102592-2-channel-audio.html)

Chris Holste August 31st, 2007 09:24 PM

2 Channel Audio

I have a shotgun mic and wirelss mic, taken into my beachtech which is then routed into my camera. From my camera controls it appears it is being recorded on two tracks (this is also what I hear in my headphones). Left and Right. When I play it back on the t.v it gets mixed.

If I pull the DV tape onto my computer, will it have two seperate tracks of audio? Do I need to do anything special to make this happen?

Thanks,
Chris

Graham Bernard September 1st, 2007 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Holste (Post 737722)
I have a shotgun mic and wirelss mic, taken into my beachtech which is then routed into my camera. From my camera controls it appears it is being recorded on two tracks (this is also what I hear in my headphones). Left and Right.

What do you mean it "appears"? Well, is it or isn't it? When I use 2 mics I physically TAP each mic JUST to confirm my routing and cabling and initial levelling - correct levelling happens AFTER I've actually confirmed to myself that all the items are connected. So, what does "appears" mean?

Quote:

When I play it back on the t.v it gets mixed.

What do you mean "mixed"? Are you saying that the channels are now swapped over? Left becomes Right? Or are you saying that the audio is having a mix applied to it? If you have channel "swap" then first off check your cabling and confirm you aren't somehow swapping the channels AT the TV. How are you connecting the camera to the TV? - Question to others here: Does the XM2 have the ability to swap channels from the user menu?

Quote:

If I pull the DV tape onto my computer, will it have two seperate tracks of audio?

I do. Very simple. Why don't you confirm this? If I was you and had "concerns" I would check this out? Immediately. But that's me.

Quote:

Do I need to do anything special to make this happen?

What do you mean "special"? What are you considering here? What I do is plop my dv tape into a DV deck. Capture in Vegas and I have the 2 channels - L and R - laid out correctly. Now if I have swapped the channels somewhere along the line, then Vegas just allows me to "swap" 'em back.

But, having given this some further thought, is it at all possible that wherever you had your Tx mic was it near or influenced BY the alignment of the shotgun. Meaning, was there very little "separation" between the 2 mics? I've had the effect of having the sound from the mouth of a Tx-ed mic person was ALSO being captured by the shotgun. In this scenario I can get some separation issues. But this isn't swapping. I'm just raising this as a possible "other" unfortunate result.

Regards,

Grazie

Graham Bernard September 1st, 2007 12:51 AM

double post - apologies - G

Don Palomaki September 2nd, 2007 06:15 AM

Quote:

If I pull the DV tape onto my computer, will it have two seperate tracks of audio?

A digital capture will provide the two channels of audio as separate channels. How they are recorded to your computer will depend on the capability and setting of your capture software, and it can range from being audio embedded with video in a single file to two separate .WAV files (one for each channel).

David Ennis September 2nd, 2007 07:55 AM

Make sure that the Beachtek's mono/stereo switch is set to "stereo," or else the signals will be mixed going into the cam, and you'll get two identical channels. Apparently yours was set correctly, but make sure it's a deliberate check you make.

Jim Andrada September 2nd, 2007 09:01 PM

Does the TV really have stereo speakers? Or does it have two speakers that each play the same mono channel? I think it depends on the TV.