Digital Liquidators-too good to be true? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Closed Thread

Old May 31st, 2003, 09:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Digital Liquidators-too good to be true?

I have been tracking GL2 prices on streetprices.com, and Digital Liquidators always lists the lowest price. It just dropped down to $1,409.00! It doesn't specify if that has international warranty or what. If so, how does an international warranty compare to a US warranty?
Has anyone here purchased anything from this place?
Does this sound like something I should avoid?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Adam
Old May 31st, 2003, 09:11 AM   #2
Wrangler

$1400 is probably much less than the wholesale price of the GL2.
Unless the company name is really Digital Liquidators of STOLEN Goods, I'd file this one under: Too Good To Be True.
Old May 31st, 2003, 10:27 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Digital Liquidators is typical of the bottom-dwelling operations.

If you want a good price and first-rate service give ZGC or Zotz Digital a call for the GL2.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I did quite a bit of searching and found that the only legitimate dealers that will let the camera go out without forcing a bunch of worthless add-ons to be purchased with the camera, have the price right around $2250-60. B&H had Zotz beat by $10. The personal service I recieved from Zotz over B&H's normal mode of operation was easily worth $10.
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:36 PM   #5
New Boot

I think the 2250-60 that Joe mentions is a bit too high. Mind you, I'm not living in the US, but I bought my GL2 (XM2 in my case) in The Netherlands in a legitimate shop, for only 2299! Now if that kind of price is possible here (where the lowest price for the Sony VX2000 is still about 3800 euro, which is more than 4000 dollar) I'm sure the GL2 can be purchased for 2000 dollar or less in the USA!
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I agree, this would probably not be a wise choice to make. Go with a reputable reseller.

Here is Zotz url.

http://www.zotzdigital.com/

Thanx,
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:09 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Out of respect to our sponsors, who pay the bills for this site, please let's not start chiming-in with everyone listing possible dealers. I think we've helped Adam with his specific question. If you have specific comments about, or experience with, Digital Liquidators feel free to share them. Otherwise...

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old May 31st, 2003, 09:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

whoa...

Ken,

I appreciate the fact that the forum has advertisers, but are you saying people are NOT welcome to post web sites and prices to help others get a good deal? If that is just your hope and suggestion, fine, but if that is a "rule" here in this forum....please let us know. There is hardly a better service that one forum member can do for another than to help point them to where they got the best deal on their camera. If that is a sponsor, all the better, but if it is not...well...Please clarify for us if there are official policies in this regard. Otherwise I'll assume we can post web site addresses and names for the benefit of other readers if we choose.
Old May 31st, 2003, 10:45 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

<< are you saying people are NOT welcome to post web sites and prices to help others get a good deal? >>

That is correct, these types of posts are NOT welcome, primarily because I've already done that work, in the form of arranging the sponsors for this message board who are simply the most honest, most reputable dealers in the business. There's no need to look further. The single most important question we get here is "where to buy." I take that very seriously and as the owner of the forum, I reserve the right to have the last word on this topic.

Shopping for "the lowest price" is a serious mistake which usually carries the penalty of paying *more* when the deal is done than if you'd gone through a realistically priced, reputable dealer to begin with. I've found some top-notch dealers who help sponsor us; therefore the best where-to-buy resources are already in place. To post "deals" which are unknown to me outside of our sponsor network is not only a disservice to the folks paying the bills for running this forum, but to the members as well.

The *only* dealers I endorse are the ones already listed on our Sponsors page. If I don't know a dealer personally, I won't allow them any free advertising here. If a reader is convinced that a certain dealer would be right for us as a sponsor, they are invited to email me privately to start the ball rolling in that direction. However, I'd like to point out that I've turned down many offers, and accordingly, a *lot* of money from dealers that just didn't feel right to me. Matter of fact, I don't like thinking about the amount of money I've said no to. Some things are far more important. Getting onboard here means getting to know me. I insist on meeting potential sponsor dealers in person and developing a relationship over several months or longer before I'll agree to take their money and put them on this site. That's my commitment to the readers here.

<< if that is a "rule" here in this forum....please let us know. >>

It is indeed a rule and I want this to be very clear. I take such a hard line on this because the "where to buy" question is very, very serious to me. I've seen a lot of people get led astray and ripped off while searching for "great deals." Therefore on this one topic I insist on maintaining utmost control.

I strongly urge dealing only with the sponsors of these boards. I know them all personally and stand by their excellent reputations. Their prices are as good as you'll find anywhere, and you'll be helping to support this community, which is here to serve you... without, as you've hopefully noticed, any annoying ads here on the boards unlike all of our competitors.

Thanks everyone -- out of respect and fairness for my site sponsors, I'm now locking this thread. Please understand that the dealers who sponsor this site are the financial supporters of this forum. I chose them only because of their excellent pricing, and most importantly, outstanding customer service. You won't find a better deal anywhere else.

When you support them, you support DV Info Net. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders