GL 2- Black border in DV editing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 7th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #1
New Boot

GL 2- Black border in DV editing?

I've read that the GL 2 footage shows a black border in DV editing programs like Adobe Premiere and Vegas. Is this true?
James Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 01:55 AM   #2
Old Boot

VEGAS here!

I use VEGAS 4.0c . How much of a black border are we saying? If I've got a white area within the "shot", and I have VEGAS's Preview window set to "White" background there is a very very very fine black edge - haven't noticed this in the final clips to TV? I'll rephrase this - I can't see a black border. I'm looking at a piece I did in a park - lots of "white" areas. On the bottom, left and right - no black border. But on the top edge there is a very VERY fine black "edge" - I wouldn't say it is a border. In fact I'm running it now - while writing this - it appears to be as "thick" as the "separation" lines on this DVinfo.net page, used to separate, for example, any of the very fine "field" lines on this page, e.g. immeadiately to the left of this message as you are reading. It's that "fine" - yes? - Now, I've had this "line" at the top and sometimes at the bottom of the Preview Window. My guess it is an adjacent pixel "fill" line to make everuthing "square-up" - I'm not using the correct jargon here, but I guess with all the variations of pixles, formats and so on something has to give and the programmers have needed to literally "Draw-The-Line" somewhere! Oh - I'm fully previewing a PAL project i.e 720x576.

And, as I said, it doesn't appear in ANY of my final edited projects on TV.

Hope this helps. - Better still, don't take my word for it, download a demo - unfortunately VEGAS doesn't allow you to Print To Tape - well it wouldn't would it! They want you to buy the fully functioning product.

Best regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 05:26 AM   #3
Wrangler

It is in the overscan area and will not appear on a TV set. It is likely to appear on computer screens because they do not have the overscan feature.
Old June 7th, 2003, 10:16 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the info. I don't own a GL 2. The reason I asked about the black edge was, that was the only thing standing in the way of my buying one. Now, I'm going to go ahead and buy a GL 2 this week. This is a great forum. I've found answers to every question I've had about the camcorder.
James Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 09:13 PM   #5
Major Player

James, the black bars you refer to apply to the GL1. Some older models output something like 704 x 480 instead of 720 x 480 which is the standard DV output size. The templates for NLE DV editing are usually preset to the DV standard of 720 x 480 so the result is the black bars of the verticle outside edges. Some NLE's have a preset for 704 x 480 to accomodate this situation. Pinnacle's DV500, and the like do this. With Vegas you can set the ratio to anything you want so you can get rid of them easily enough. You would not ever see them on a 4:3 TV anyway but you might notice them on a projection and definately while editing. The GL2 outputs at 720 x480 and has no "black bars".
Rob Easler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders