XM2 Red smear at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 9th, 2003, 02:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XM2 Red smear

Hi,

I have just got a new XM2 and have noticed that deep reds smear (blur, blooming etc) slightly to the left. It's not to bad. You don't really notice it untill there's red on black. I have seen a few posting saying similar things. Is this a typical XM2 problem?

Thanks,
Will
Will Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 02:20 AM   #2
Old Boot

"Love Lies Bleeding"

Are you seeing this in the final viewing on the TV? Maybe just a fine tune of the TV colour needed? Another thing, is to see the same effect from "Broadcastd" stuff - then be critical!!! - I'm starting to get a name in my family as the "Red Baron!"

As you say, much has been said about this - I think I joined in at one point and gave my "feelings" and airing, just after I purchased my now BELOVED XM2 . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 06:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I can see it in three different TV's and they're all good sets so I'm guessing it the cam. I don't see it on the LCD or viewfinder & I don't see it on the PC, just TV's. But I don't seem to have any of the other problems that these cams can have so I think I'll have to put up with it. Is it a common problem? or should I consider sending the thing back?
Old June 9th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #4
Old Boot

"Is it a common problem? or should I consider sending the thing back?" - I can't answer this - it's your call!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Will Nuttall : I can see it in three different TV's and they're all good sets so I'm guessing it the cam. -->>>

Interesting. Do you connect XM2 to TV by s-video cable or by supplied banana-like?
Vladimir Koifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 08:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I use the supplied yellow plug to RCA cable
Old June 9th, 2003, 09:24 PM   #7
Major Player

If it's not smeared on the camera or the computer, but it is when you use the supplied cable, then the rca cable is just crummy.

Try the S-video cable and it should improve a little. You'll always have some smear when you go to analog because the reds are hard to hold but it shouldn't be really noticable or catch the eye.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 03:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks ben, you're right. I used the S-video and you can hardly see it. Cheers
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:16 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

Keep in mind that DV (CCD?) has problems with the color red.
I try avoiding it with my XL1s.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

CCD red problems are well understood by the industry. There is usually a special digital filter somewhere in camera video processing path that removes all the CCD red artefacts.
I'm probably not knowledgeble enough in DV coding, but I see no reason that red is more problematic than blue for the DV encoder/decoder.
On top of this Will says there is no red artefacting when seen on computer. Then I'd point to PAL encoder as a possible source of trouble here. This is why S-video cable might help, as color is encoded somewhat differently in s-video.
Vladimir Koifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 05:24 AM   #11
RED Code Chef

I have never seen such a red-artifact removal tool. Can you point
me to one? Do some NLE's have it?

Thanks!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders