DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Flash for GL1 question. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/107936-flash-gl1-question.html)

Javier Rios November 14th, 2007 08:18 AM

Flash for GL1 question.

Hi I'm looking for a flash for my gl1 and came here for recommendations
since I don't have much experience on this.

I'm shooting a wedding next month and need to be ready if I need it.

Chris Hurd November 14th, 2007 12:11 PM

Any Canon EOS Speedlite flash will work, but I can't recommend doing it since a photo flash is only going to help you with still images, and stills from this camcorder are not that useful. You're better off with a video light, the choice of which is a frequently discussed topic on this forum (a search will bring up numerous threads).

Javier Rios November 14th, 2007 05:18 PM

Thanks Chris, I didn't express myself correctly,
what I need is an on camera video light as you suggest thanks for making note of that, I'm following your tip, thanks.

By the way, I didn't know a Canon Speedlite could be used on this camera it's good to know (if ever needed) since I have a 430ex

Chris Davis November 15th, 2007 11:35 AM

I have both the Canon VL-10 and the VL-3. I rarely used the VL-10 at a wedding because in situations where it was dark enough to need a light (the reception/dance) it was far too bright. The VL-3 was a much better light for that situation, but is only good for relatively close shooting.

Those are two low-cost solutions. I think I paid less than $50 for both (used).

Graham Bernard November 15th, 2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 775988)
The VL-3 was a much better light for that situation, but is only good for relatively close shooting.

Chris? Just how close were you? And how much Gain did you use?

Grazie

Chris Hurd November 15th, 2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

I have both the Canon VL-10 and the VL-3.

Neither of these are compatible with the Canon GL1, sorry.

Javier Rios November 15th, 2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 776031)

Thanks for the advice i were close to order one.

I'm looking for one that works as the canon VL-3 works on the gl2, no batt is required, as it takes power from the camcorder's batt, also it's not too expensive
if somebody knows let me know.

As last option I think I'll give a try to the VL-10LI which is more expensive and uses it's own batt canon websites states it's compatible with the GL1.

Brendan Donohue November 16th, 2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

umm, last time I checked, the VL-10i is totally compatible with the GL-1, I use one all the time..I'm not sure about the VL-3 , but I'm pretty sure that is compatible too..

javier, the VL-10i uses the same battery as the Gl-1/2..it's kind of bright and might bother some people if you're up in there face, but I remedy this by putting a piece of thin white cloth over the light and wrapping a rubber band around to hold the cloth in place...acting as a makeshift diffuser..good luck

Javier Rios November 16th, 2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Donohue (Post 776526)
javier, the VL-10i uses the same battery as the Gl-1/2..it's kind of bright and might bother some people if you're up in there face, but I remedy this by putting a piece of thin white cloth over the light and wrapping a rubber band around to hold the cloth in place...acting as a makeshift diffuser..good luck

Thanks Brendan, just one question how long does a battery last with the light on, I actually have 3 batteries for my GL1 two high capacity and the one that came with the camcorder, I hope not to buy another one.

Brendan Donohue November 16th, 2007 03:23 PM

I usually use the small canon battery (that came with the camera) so the videolight is less bulky and topheavy..the last wedding I did, it lasted throughout the whole reception. That is, as long as your battery holds a good charge and you conserve energy (turn of light when not in use)

Chris Hurd November 16th, 2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

I have both the Canon VL-10 and the VL-3.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Donohue (Post 776526)
umm, last time I checked, the VL-10i is totally compatible with the GL-1, I use one all the time...

You are of course absolutely right. My bad on the VL-10i, somehow I spaced out on that one.

However the VL-3 is *not* compatible with the GL1 since that light is powered only by the AAS Advanced Accessory Shoe system, and the GL1 doesn't have that capability -- it has a cold shoe only and cannot provide power to the VL-3 or any other AAS item.

Javier Rios November 29th, 2007 09:42 PM

I just found a light for sale it's a used VL-20 but my main concern is if it will be too bright has any body tried it?

I think it can be used on the GL1 since it the same model as the VL-10 except for the 20 watts instead of 10 and the sale price is $45.00