Sailing the High Seas - Need a new COMBO at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 18th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sailing the High Seas - Need a new COMBO

Hello everyone...

I was able to score a sweeeeeeet deal with a sailing company to produce 4 DVD's of different islands/sailing etc. This will be a documetary style production. I was able to work a NEW camera combo into the deal.

HELP... I am not entirely sure what to take on the trip... Can someone help me put together a full production setup to take on the high seas????

I will be using a GL2... Don't think you can talk me out of it either... hehe =)

Thanx,
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 02:10 AM   #2
Old Boot

. . . no tech advice here . .. just . . . just jealously!

Need a deckhand - hmmm, pretty please!

Oh yes tech advice - You will definately require a second camera. One camera work can get very boring! Now who do I know who's got an equivalent GL2? Now let me thnink . .. mmm.... Ah yes meeeee .. .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Congratulations Tustin!

Ok, I'll start the ball rolling with some simple advice:
- Take a backup of everything
- your own mini tool set
- waterproof boxes
- silica gel packs
- spare polarizing filters

Before you go, check into the shipboard power sources

Now, lets hear from the 'pros' out there!

Ken W.
Ken E. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #4

depends on how long you'll "be at sea". In the tropics, things tend to mildew VERY quickly. Be sure you have an airtight bag or container to store all your original footage. Tape substrate WILL mildew!
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

No pro here, but I've shot 3 schooner videos in Maine ( the latest with a GL2 ). Get and bring a wind screen for the built in mic ( I have a Lightwave Systems model ) and an external mic with a good wind screen ( once again I have a Senn. ME66 with a Lightwave Systems shock mount and wind screen - see Zotz Digital ) plus headphones. Wind noise will be a problem, guaranteed!

Lots of batteries.

Craig Peer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders