XM1/GL1 advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 24th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Tourist

XM1/GL1 advice

Hi
I am new to video having recently bought a Canon XM1. The results so far are impressive. I visited the Canon UK website to look at accessories for the camera, particularly the DM 50 microphone which is listed as suitable for the XM1. I purchased a microphone from Ebay but it seems that the XM1 is not equipped with the advanced accessory shoe which is required to power the DM 50 contary to the Canon website. I cannot see how the connections on the microphone will fit those on the camera. Have I made a mistake ?

Any advice would be most welcome.
Shaun Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi,

The GL2(XM2) will provide power to the mic(DM 50) but not the GL1 (XM1). You need to get a mic which get power by itself, the RODE videomic for instance (by a 9 volt battery in the mic).

Cheers

Philippe
Philippe Messier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #3
Tourist

Xm1/gl1

Thanks for a quick reply. You confirm what I was thinking. Looks like I have a DM50 to sell. I purchased this mic as it was listed on the Canon UK website as an optional accessory for the XM1. Also many retailers (including Amazon)list it as suitable. I think I will drop Canon some mail on this issue.

I am on a tight budget so may invest in a MKE 300, particularly as I am very new to DV.

This is a great site and I have already spent many an evening reading so much good advice.

Thanks again
Shaun Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello shaun and wellcome to digital video sorry to hear you got bad advice on your first mic however if you buy a mic to use on camera you will probably need some sort of shockmount otherwise your audio will contain handling noise off the camera. If you want to try a mke 300 before you buy let me know and I will come to yours and let you try mine. I only live in Warrington so I am only afew miles away.
Best wishes Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders