XLR Adaptor Question... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 20th, 2002, 03:27 AM   #31
Major Player

Grazie,
Thats part of the reason I liked it too, is because of the way it looked. I saw a picture and it looked very nice, and also (of course) the functionality. I like everything being in one unit. If I had the studio 1, I would probably set the camera down on a table and then walk away, forgetting the microphone cable was attached to my belt. CRASH there goes my brand new GL2 within the first 48 hours that I own it. Too bad about the MA300 not having a mini out though, because if I ever get a MD, I would love connect my ME66 to it and record sound portably. Can't wait to get my GL2...still saving...
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 04:24 AM   #32
Old Boot

Scott - There is a BNC connector - I believe this is for some type of EXTRA video device - maybe a monitor, or whatever.... Hey! Howzabout the headphone jack... can't that be used? As, I'm presuming your comment, "Too bad about the MA300 not having a mini out though, because if I ever get a MD, I would love connect my ME66 to it and record sound portably." - I've monitored my Seny on this.... sooooooo...... Or are you thinking of something else.

YES - all the kit in one place does have a major advantage for me. Theft not being low on the agenda, but mostly me being a bit of a forgetful head when it comes to having bits 'n pieces lurking on tables and in or out of the cammy bag - yes?

I will say that the MA300 does transmit "zoom" motor noise up through the stem to the Sennni. However there is a tiny - and I mean a tiny/small - DIP type of switch you need to activate. This is a "Roll-Off Filter" and they say, "effectively rejects rumble, handling, pop and wind noises, as well as reduce the proximity effect when used in close miking situations." Haven't done a serious "Imran-Type" tech analysis yet, but I'm sure it will do the trick.

So all-in-all, and taking the tech analysis from Imran on-board, I'm happy with the MA300. I don't know any audio comparisons with the Beechy or the others mentioned. If my videography skills advance enough and I start requiring a more capable audio adaptor then I will revisit this issue. The XLR metal ins and outs work very smartly.

As I said in my first post "Yer pays Yer money - Yer takes Yer choice" Thanks once again to Imran - Imran you have renforced my intial buying decision on the MA300 - if just on ergonomic grounds AND my own particular - and not TOO little - "short run" filming. AND, if I reeeeeeallly need some back up power there is always the option of a full Cammy battery belt - yes? If I was to go down a six/ten hour shoot this would be both essential and plenty.

The other cool thing about the MA300 Scott - it does look really does look the business with the extra light slid into the "spare" MA300 accessory show. yes it is plastic, but it, IMHO, feels very tough, and secure with the, if not hefty thumb nut, does clamp down on a large-ish area, thereby "spreading" the "leverage - after all the XM2 may look as if it is made from aliminimum, but it is silver paint on a plastic body. Just thinking about it, with the "angled" mic clamp, pushing the centre of gravity to the right - having a lamp perched in the accessory shoe, will TEND to bring the some of the "force" back on centre again.

So, there you have it Scott! If after all this you still aint happy with your MA300, I suppose you might - if you strike up the correct customer-supplier relationship - be able to return to the Ye Olde Cammy Shoppe for a replacement. Having a good and respectful buying relationship does, of course, go both ways -yes? I know this has been offered to me by my supplier - a very nice man indeed. Don't forget, if you start oput on the right foot, then I've found most suppliers will be more than eager to retain you as a truly valuable client, in the years to come. Oh yes one other thing while I'm on the subject of suppier/customer relationships. Do contact the actual sales person within a week and DO say - if you are - how pleased with the kit. We are all human, and a bit of post-purchase praise will go a long way - if not for purely non-altruistic reasons - it will make the sales person feel respected and comfortable when you you may have a "gripe" in the future. I suppose what I'm also saying is that, try and share with the person your keen and enthusiastic feelings for the product and video - yes?

My apologies if you know this already, but there are others who will be reading this - and you never know it may spread a little "respect" in the world - something, even at this time for some of us, of festivity, appears to be in short measure.

OooEr! Got a bit carried away with myself there - but I think you catch my drift?

Best regards

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 04:32 AM   #33
Old Boot

Scott - Sorry I forgot! I don't remember if I metioned it -BUT when I use the Canon WD58 AND the extra light, my Senni does create a noticable "shadow" in the WD58 field of view. This is, of course, unacceptable. I'm presently working on a "fix". A pro-video colleague of mine says," Yeah, well all good cameren make adaptions with gaffer and other bits 'n bobs - and funnily enough, just makes you look a bit more serious about your work and pro as a result" - yeah well, we'll see 'bout that - eh? After all, the proof of the pudding etc etc.....

Grazie
Old December 20th, 2002, 05:12 AM   #34
Major Player

Grazie,
When I said "Too bad about the MA300 not having a mini out though, because if I ever get a MD, I would love connect my ME66 to it and record sound portably" I meant a mini 1/8 in. out jack for plugging into the mic in on a MD recorder. This way I can record video and sound seperately. I am 99% sure the MA300 does not have a 1/8 out. So any ways, I can get the MA300 for about $140 and then if I ever get a MD I can invest in a Studio 1 also without spending too much dough on sound equip.

One suggestion to you about the noise from the zoom motor: If it is a problem there is a way to fix it. Instead of using the mic mount built into the MA300, take out your light and mount your mic into the "extra" accessory shoe on the MA300. This can be done easily with a shock mic mount from light wave systems. The shock mount and the extra length should reduce the noise to nothing, I think. Well good luck in your video & sound adventures!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 06:06 AM   #35
Old Boot

You are correct. The MA300 does not have an audio out - but the XM2 itelf does have a headphone socket - that's what I meant. I'm only suggesting this as an option to "Y-off" to the MD [Mini Disc?]. Is that correct?

Thanks for the tip on the reducing the motor sound. However, where do I put the Extra light, when I've put the mic. clamp in to that one? Hmm....?

Grazie

Ps Thanks for your good wishes for my future - I reciprocate!
Old December 20th, 2002, 08:21 AM   #36
Trustee

I suppose things like this do always boil down to preference - do I want the adapter on the cam or not, do I like the way it looks or not, do I want the extra cables or not.

All in all, I just haven't thought to use the MA300 because of the buzz I've heard on it that it's good for short runs, but long runs may introduce noise, or loss of volume. At least, that's the theory behind non-balanced situations. It's very possible to get good audio without balanced connections, but I personally wouldn't want to add the possibility. I like to eliminate potential problems where I can.

My test with the Beachtek and Studio1 was just a short run test (4 feet). However, had a I had an MA300 while I was testing the other two, I would probably have stuck on a 25 foot or longer cable to see what happens. But, unless someone's willing to send me one ;) I'm not about to buy one now, now that I have this Studio1.

Thanks for the feedback!
Imran.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 08:38 AM   #37
Old Boot

Imran it's a pleasure. Oh I see what you mean by a "long" run - you meant the length of cable - and and and picking up interference or loosing quality. Right! Oh - for this I would use a radio mic that our CHannel 4 uses. I can get hold of a Tx Rx system for £169.00 - yeah?

Anyways - guess what I'm now on BT [British Telecom] Broadband and your message was the very first to be signalled up on my "always-connected" option! Brilliant!

Best regards

Grazie
Old December 20th, 2002, 10:35 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Testing in progress

see thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=5531

let me know if you are interested in the results and I'll make them available.
Mark
Old December 20th, 2002, 11:01 AM   #39
Trustee

I'd be very interested in seeing the results!
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 11:06 AM   #40
Regular Crew

No problem

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : I'd be very interested in seeing the results! -->>>

I'm going out of town for the holiday, but should be able to complete the test before 1/1/03
Old February 24th, 2003, 04:07 AM   #41
New Boot

New Item

Just saw that Studio 1 is comming out with a new Pro adapter, the Studio 1 XLR-BP3-PRO Belt pack audio adapter which features three XLR inputs! Input 1 is independent, while Inputs 2 & 3 are combined onto the same channel. Attenuator volume controls allow you to balance the relative levels of the three inputs. Mic/line switches, mono/stereo. I read that this is a new item, due to be released early in the year. Has anyone seen or tried one yet and how much is it?
Ed
Ed Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 07:02 AM   #42
New Boot

I saw this too. Looks like it is going to be a great product. I called them on Friday to see exactly when it is going to be shipping they said around Friday of this week. (Feb27 or so).

I have a couple of their XLR-BP Pro's and I was told the XLR-BP 3 Pro will have the same great audio quality and features. It will have a 3rd XLR input, but they had to drop the 1/4" input due to space limitations. For me that's not a big deal, I mainly use XLR inputs.

I was told the price will be $199.95.

Charles.
Charles Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 05:45 AM   #43
Regular Crew

XLR to mic adapter or XL Adapter better

Which would give better sound performance (if either)? I have seen an XLR cable adapter and I have seen adapters that sit on the XL2's hotshot and take the mike's directly. Not having played with these do they plug into the camera's microphone input?
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #44
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

There are 2 3rd party XLR adapters for the GL2 (that I know of); the BeachTek and the Studio 1. Each has a loyal following, but I believe them to be largely equivalent. They attach to the camera's tripod thread and into the Mic jac.

Canon now makes a MA-300 XLR adapter that connects into the camera's "SmartShoe" and passes audio through the shoe. Having never used it I can't speak for it's audio quality. The concentration of cable strain on a plastic shoe, however, makes me nervous about its durability.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 01:08 AM   #45
Major Player

MA-300

Hello All -

I have the MA-300 and must say the Audio quality is very good. The plastic is tough and so far I have not had a problem... The only issue with it is that is offers no Phantom Power and no signal boost to self powered mics, at least the one I have.

So If you have a preamp, or know of and have a great shotgun mice (ME66) then it would work fine.

No EXTRA wires, looks cool, not very heavy.

Not Bad.

- AR
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders