XLR Adaptor Question... - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 28th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Any one use the Shure A96F converter? It looks like it would work but I would hate to buy it and not have it work
Old April 10th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #47
Regular Crew

XLR adaptors Beachtek vs. signvideo xlrpro

Trying to grab some needed accessories for my GL2 and was all set to buy a Beachtek xlr adaptor when the sales person referred to it as JUNK and recommended the xlr pro by Sign Video. Can someone offer some feedback on these units or should I consider another brand (I can't use the ma 300 because of need to have a light on the hot shoe). Any help greatly appreciated!
Old April 10th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #48
Wrangler

Looks like the old model Studio One adapter tah has been supreceeded. Some folks feel the Studio One was a bit better than the Beachtek. Most felt they were about equal.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 11:25 PM   #49
Old Boot

"I can't use the ma 300 because of need to have a light on the hot shoe" ? ? ??

Errrmmm... MA300 hot shoe adaptor is designed to take a light on top - honest! I've done it with a Senni in the mic holder. That's a light PLUS a Senni mic PLUS the XLR adaptor. The Senni is XLRed into the MA300 - dead easy!

The extra light doesn't take power from the Cammy battery, it takes it from its own supply. - No drain on the cammy.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2003, 02:51 AM   #50
Trustee

Hi j and j. I have the sign video XLR adapter but haven't tried the beachteks. I got the sign video because it was cheaper and I also never heard any say the quality of the beachtek was better than the signvideo but I did have people say the opposite on occasion. Here's my run down.

Quality is superb - both in sound and solidity of construction. I haven't been able to scientifically test this device at all, but qualitative test have proven it to be excellent. Now the things I didn't like about it.

- It doesn't have a locking pin with the undercamera screw. I was concerned that this might cause the thing to twist under the camera but so far it hasn't done it - then again I have not used it tripod mounted a lot.

- The major problem I found was with the placement of the volume knobs. When you put it under the camera, and then hand hold your GL2, the foot of your palm rests against the knobs. This might cause them to move which you DONT want. There are however a couple of solutions, although I'd prefer to not have to use them as they aren't ideal.
- You can learn to hold the camera with your wrist slightly out. This might sound silly, but I find when I'm shooting handhold I support the front of the camera with my left hand anyway so all I do is let it support it a bit more and my right hand becomes less of an issue.

- You can belt mount the adapter and the problem goes away.

The SignVideo, compared to the beachteks does have one extra mic jack too if you're planning on using two non xlr unbalanced inputs.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 11:28 PM   #51
Regular Crew

I own one Shure adapter. As soon as I received it, I modified it :
- to reduce the length of the cable (to keep the asymmetric line as short as possible)
- to swap the straight 3.5mm jack for a right-angle one.

But in fact I don't use it because it too heavy and too long when mounted at the end of the ME66 on a Mini-mount support.

I ended building an ultra short XLR->Jack 3.5mm cable. I did some tests to compare the both solutions. The Shure only provide higher volume (impedance matching). But the ME66 is so hot that it really doesn't matter. So from now this little XLR->Jack is always connected avoiding unnecessary insertions for this tiny 3.5mm connector.
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #52
New Boot

Stupid question perhaps, but....

When connecting an external mic to a GL2 using 3.5mm stereo miniplug, is there TRULY any difference than connecting an external mic (XLR) to an adaptor, that in turn plugs into the 3.5mm plug?

I am assuming, that since the adaptor is going to 3.5mm, that you would have the same quality and restrictions as if the mic was straight to 3.5mm to begin with...for example, external mic plugged into the 3.5mm plug only records (at least shows this way on the audio level meter) the left channel. I am guessing that through the MA-300 using an XLR mic would get you both channels, but the same XLR mic through an adaptor, such as those mentioned on these boards...Beachtek, etc., in effect converting the mic to 3.5 would bring you back to only getting the left channel, and would be no different than just using a mic with a 3.5mm plug.

Hope I am making sense. Would the above be an accurate assesment??

Thank you.
David Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:47 PM   #53
Regular Crew

My straight XLR->jack 3.5mm gives sound on both channels.
It's great because I can have two different settings for the left and right channel so one of them would provide a little bit less gain. A kind of backup if the other channel has been saturated for any reason (and that happens a lot with the ME66).

This said, for short run direct connection is ok (asymetrical) but I would strongly recommend a box like (Beachtek, BP-Pro... or the I one I would love to own the MM-1). The box will perfom the symetrical (XLR) to asymetrical (3.5mm jack). A symetrical line protects you against noise on long distance.

So it's not just a connector adaptor but on very short distance running XLR to 3.5mm without a transformer would work.
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #54
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

David,
Yes, there could be an advantage to using XLR connections even through a Beachtek that ultimately connects via a 3.5mm jack. The primary advantage of using XLR connections, aside from mechanical security, is that they facilitate "balanced" audio signal transmission. Balanced transmission helps to minimize noise that might be induced into the cable over long runs.

Also note that most of the mic's you'll see discussed here are 1-channnel (mono). Devices like the MA-300 or a Beachtek take 1 channel of audio from each XLR connection. The 3.5mm mic jack leading from the Beachtek to the camera's mic port can send discrete 2 channels of audio if both XLR ports are active (with 2 mics).

Does that answer your question?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:44 PM   #55
New Boot

Thank you for the quick replies. That does indeed answer my question.

I am using the Schriber Acoustic SA-568, which comes with two seperate connectors, one XLR and one 3.5 mini. You use which ever cable is appropriate for your plug. The mic is mounted directly on the cameras hot-shoe and the cable is not long. IF I understand correctly, and I capitolize IF :) , 1) by hooking my mic up via an XLR adaptor and THEN plugging it into the 3.5 mini I would get both left and right channels. Or I am wrong, and 2 ) hooking my shotgun up to the adaptor would still only give me the left channel UNLESS I have a second mic plugged into the adaptor, in which case I would THEN get both channels?

Sorry, for being so naive, but I'm a bit new to the "higher-end" audio, as opposed to the simple mic built in to the camera.

Again, thank you for your helpful and insightful replies. :)
David Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:55 PM   #56
Regular Crew

If you want both channels and don't plan to have any extra mic you have different solutions :
- the cable provided with your mike feeds left and right .. nothing to do
- you buy a 3.5 fem stereo to 3.5 male mono so the signal will be distributed on both channels
- you cut and make your own 3.5mm jack with left and right connections
- you build your own custom XLR -> 3.5mm. In that case you could use right angle connector for both XLR female and 3.5mm jack.

I strongly recommend right angle connectors especially for the 3.5mm connection not for the audio quality but mechanical aspect.

Dany
Old June 21st, 2003, 03:40 PM   #57
New Boot

XLR Adaptor Question...

Hello again,

After reading through numerous posts here, I decided to purchase the Sign Video XLR Pro Adaptor and Azden SGM-1X microphone for my GL2. Nice products, although the SGM-1X may be a bit long and with the XLR cable attached, it's a kinda tough to get at the controls on the handle. I might have to take a look at the SGM-X with the mini cable.

If I attach the XLR Pro with the level knobs on the right, the palm of my hand hits and turns them. I'm curious if other users of the XLR Pro have had any problems with accidently turning the level knobs? If I switch the adaptor the other way, the XLR cable connectors are in the way. Would cables with angled connectors make a difference? Is the Beachtek DXA-4P any better in this regard?

Thanks!
Lyle
Lyle Pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 09:50 PM   #58
Inner Circle

I'm pretty sure that this is the same product that was once manufactured under the name Studio 1. I orienate it so the faders are facing me and the cables attach at the front of the camera. It gives you a nice flat surface for the palm of your hand. It's impossible to handhold camcorder with the adapter attached any other way. I actually find it easier than handholding with no adapter because it gives you some extra leverage, even though there is some added weight. While this doesn't give the adapter as much surface in contact with the camera, I haven't had any problem. The only issue I can think of, is it throws the camera off axis when you mount it on a tripod so that when you pan the lens is swiveling on an oval instead of a circle. I've done a few crude tests and honestly, you can't tell the difference. If Sign Video has maintained the quality this product was known for, then you have a really great adapter by the way.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2003, 05:04 AM   #59
Trustee

Lyle, you're correct. I have the same problems with my Sign Video adapter and so do many others. It's just a design flaw with those adapters but there are a couple of things you could try.

I have learnt to hold the camera with my palm just off the knobs. It don't think I'd like to do that for any length of time but it works.

Your adapter should have come with a belt clip, you can use that to take it off your camera.

I haven't tried it, but there might be a way to make (or buy) a small clip that can lock between the knob and the body of the adapter, effectively holding the knob in it's position.

The audio quality of the Sign Video adapter is excellent and was recommended to me by many people. Would I have bought a different one if I'd known of this hand holding problem, yes, probably, but now I have it I can live with it. Many more important things to buy ;)

Cheers
Aaron
Old June 22nd, 2003, 07:45 PM   #60
Regular Crew

In my book there are two solutions:

1 - Use the belt clip (there is one on the Studio 1 XLR PRO that I use)
2- Tape the box to one of the tripod legs.
Ken E. Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders