XLR Adaptor Question... - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 11th, 2003, 03:22 PM   #91
Trustee

Ok thanks Ken. I think I'm just gonna get a hard disk recorder then. It doesn't seem worth it if it's gonna get converted to unbalanced line-level before entering the camera.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #92
Regular Crew

Just my .02, it's hard to beat a dedicated audio recorder. I just bought myself a GL2 and have been trying to justify buying the beachtek or some other similar adapter. I have a Roland 1680 and have been using it instead of the camera inputs for audio recording. Works great, and there is much more flexibility in it than any adaptor for a camera.

I would love to have a nice audio system sometime to mount onto my GL2, but at the same time, I think, why? Why should I rely on the audio circutry in the camera when I already have a good audio recorder? It's too easy to sync up in post and really isn't more involved in setting up than the camera.

Dragging one more case to the gig is worth the convenience of no wires tied to my camera, plus knowing my audio will sound good.
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 09:23 AM   #93
Major Player

Whew! The 1680 is no longer available. Roland says the VS-1824CD is its replacement. With a list of $2000, about $1700 street, it's a big investment.

Will
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #94
Regular Crew

Yes, it was quite an investment a few years ago, considering I spent about $2300 on it (yikes!) - But it has definitely paid for itself in the quality of audio and convenience. My buddy just picked up a Yamaha recorder similar to my Roland for about $1000.

I forget what the technique is called when you record the audio to a seperate recorder, but I do think it is the way to go.
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #95
Major Player

Yes, I saw the Yamaha models when I went browsing to research your comments. The Yamaha AW16G is certainly close.

Why do you think the independent audio recording is better? You mention better quality, but assuming the same microphones were used and that the only difference is where the audio is recorded, it's a bit hard to grasp why two digital audio streams would be that different.

Will
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #96
Regular Crew

Will: To answer that question, go find Jay Rose's feature article from DV mag/.com titled "DV Camera Audio: Real Numbers, Real Recommendations".

Edit: Here's the link to the article, although you'll need to login to DV.com first if you haven't.

http://www.dv.com/features/features_...questid=694010

The short of it: DV camera audio circuits really are pretty crappy, even compared to just a "consumer" level audio device like an MD recorder. From my perspective, I'd say it depends on what you're recording; I'm not going to futz with syncing (and often re-syncing 20 minutes down the tape, since they don't always stay exactly in sync) a separate audio source to video if the audio isn't as important (just someone's speech or atmospheric audio). If the audio quality really is important, a separate source is very reasonable.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #97
Regular Crew

Brian pretty much summed it up. I figure, a video camera is primarily composed to record video. The audio circuitry in most cameras leave much to be desired. My audio recorder was designed just for that, recording audio.

I agree, some shoots don't warrant a seperate recorder. But some critical shoots, like weddings, for example, the audio is obviously critical.

I have yet to do an A/B test between my Roland and my GL2, but my betting money would go toward the Roland (or any stand-alone audio recorder, for that matter).
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #98
Trustee

Anyone use the Roland VS-880EX? I think I'm gonna get that with a Jaz drive. 20-bit 48 KHz recording, up to 8 tracks simultaneously - definitely the best features for the value.
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #99
Major Player

You know, I read that article but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Will
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #100
Trustee

Just bought a Roland VS-880EX off ebay for $350 - 6-tracks simultaenous balanced audio recording to any SCSI device. Way better than any XLR converter I could have gotten for the GL2. Too bad they don't make these things anymore - from the sound of it, it's going to be great (48 KHz, 20-bit, etc.)
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #101
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Dickman : go find Jay Rose's feature article from DV mag -->>>

Thanks a lot for that link Brian, fascinating article that I hadn't stumbled across before!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #102
Regular Crew

Have fun with that 880 Peter. Those things rock. I wish they had more XLR inputs, but hey, I'm not complaining too much. My 1680 has been a great friend for the past several years... :)
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #103
Trustee

Yeah can't wait. :) Unfortunately this model does not have XLR inputs, only balanced 1/4" ones, but adapters are not terribly expensive, and I don't think this should significantly affect sound quality, do you?
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:38 PM   #104
Regular Crew

Yeah, you're right. But I guess they'd sound about the same as long as you use balanced cables, which do make a difference. Some adaptors can be found cheap, but may make your audio sound cheap as well, but ymmv.
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #105
Trustee

Sorry that this has become a thread in audio engineering, but it's interesting. :)

My understanding is that all XLR cables are capable of carrying a balanced signal.

I also thought that a balanced 1/4"-connector cable is identical to an unbalanced stereo 1/4" cable.

Am I right or missing something?

Thanks a lot.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders