DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   JVC gy-dv300 Vs Canon GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/11148-jvc-gy-dv300-vs-canon-gl2.html)

Patrice Fidole June 22nd, 2003 07:20 PM

JVC gy-dv300 Vs Canon GL2

Hello everyone!

Until not too long ago my mind was set to purchase a GL2 until i checked the streamcorder at B&H a couple days ago..
Now those 2 units have almost the same price ( around $2300)..

I DLed the JVC manual and i did not find anything about a progressive frame recording..could someone if that is possible with the JVC or not?

I tried the Lolux mode and have to say i m impressed.

I did a couple of search on the forum and found some (kinda old) post and would love some feedback now..

Now that streamcorder is as "cheap" as the GL2 what do you recommand?
thx

Patrice.

Frank Granovski June 22nd, 2003 10:17 PM

They are both good in different ways. I've read that the DV300 has a "fixed" lens hood. Personally, I lean toward the GL2, even though it has smaller CCDs. How much is a DV500 going for these days? I heard that it got replaced. That is a mighty fine camera.

Bryan Beasleigh June 23rd, 2003 01:45 AM

Go back down and have a second look. Which one do you like the feel of? What's your gut feeling?

I've heard good things about both cameras. This is a big decision that really should be made based on your likes and dislikes and not some strangers opinion.

Scott Silverman June 23rd, 2003 02:09 AM

I love my GL2. I wouldn't trade it for anything (relatively speaking). Not just the performance that draws me to it. It is the user support, the size, the look, the name, the resale value, the option, and so much more. I love it. Both have their strong points, but I would go with the GL2.

Ben Lynn June 23rd, 2003 07:21 AM

Bryan says it right. Go with what you like best. Both camera's are worth the money and you won't go wrong with either. Find out which one gives you the most confidence and feels right to you and go with it.

Ben Lynn

Patrice Fidole June 23rd, 2003 07:27 AM

hell everyone!! ;-)

well i guess i m very much "in love" with the GL2.... i do like the size and everything about it.. that s my heart talking now...
somehow the only 2 things i like on the JVC are better low lux and the bigger chips..

i was wondering if there was sombody who actually bought one and has a 4+ month use or more.. The GL2 is already everywhere, ppl talk about it, i can find forums, i see it on MTV :-) etc etc... but not so with the streamcorder who s a great unit..The very few Reviews online found problems i could not duplicate at B&H (obvious stepping of the zoom, or that you could see the diff f: when you change it on the fly for exemple)..

so basically the only thing missing are those streamcorder users that could give me some great everyday use etc.. ;-)

If not..Canon here i come.. ;-)

Thx :-)

Joe Carney June 23rd, 2003 12:49 PM

The JVC has more pro features, including cine gamma similar to the DVX100 (but not 24p). From what I've heard from other owners, you can remove the hood, just not the way other cameras do it. It also has better manual controls, which appeals more to experienced pros. It also generates accurate color bars for pro broadcast use. Most miniDV camcorders do not. (Accurate ones that is). Many don't like the plastic exterior, even though it has a magnesium cage surrounding all the vital parts. It has 2 XLR inputs too. Don't know about the GL2. Most rate the JVC video quality superior, but that is very subjective. At current prices it qualifies as a best buy.

And like everyone says, it's what you like most that counts.

Patrice Fidole June 23rd, 2003 10:56 PM

yes i believe it is the best buy from what i have seen myself at B&H...

thx all great feedback.

Ken Tanaka June 23rd, 2003 11:30 PM

For the record, the GL2 can indeed generate true SMTE color bars.

We've had a recent thread on the JVC that you might be interested in reviewing, Patrice.

Ron Little June 24th, 2003 09:19 AM

I have a GL2 and just recently purchased a DVX 100

I gave the GL to my wife to replace her Sony VX2000 she loves the GL.

When I have to tape something in a hurry I grab her GL because it is such a friendly cam. She gets mad and tells my I should have bought another GL2 instead of the DVX.

I tell her that both are great cams and the DVX has features the GL doesn’t have and that is why I bought it trying to justify the purchase.

The truth is the DVX is a great cam but I still like my GL2.

I never used the JVC.

Patrice Fidole June 24th, 2003 09:32 AM

thx Ken..trust me i have scanned every thread regarding the streamcorder in this forum :-)..and on the net. I found a couple more reviews online and those were pretty positive really..
the GY d300 was never an issue since it was so over my budget. the PDX 10/ 950 low light high contrast problems really scared me away since i m planning to use that cam in a low light-high contrast situations most of the time ( night clubs, concerts etc..) although their compact size make them very attractive. My next logical move was the GL2 (budgetwise+ features). Now that the JVC is priced like a GL2 i think there is no doubts now and will get that Streamcorder.

Oh well.. maybe i should start a Streamcorder Club in NYC if i don t want to feel alone? ;-)

hehe

Take care.