XM2 Audio Line Input while filming at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 22nd, 2003, 07:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XM2 Audio Line Input while filming

Hi Guys

I am trying to bypass the onboard mic and record audio from a mixing desk using line inputs while filming a lecturer.

I couldn't find any setting in the menus for setting the recorded audio to line-in, so I assumed it might have 'auto-sensed' incoming audio on the line-in/out jacks and switched from mic audio to line audio. But alas, no go. Am I completely missing something here?????? Surely someone has done this with a GL2/XM2. I'll be disappointed if I can't do this!!

Thanks heaps!

Tim Ashbrooke
Tim Ashbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Tim,

Sure can! You'll need to use the mic input jack just ahead of the hand grip though. The jack on the rear of the camera would work if you were in the "VCR" mode but while in the Camera mode, the jack up front is what you'll need. It also automatically disconnects the onboard mic. Have Fun.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2003, 11:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you use the mic input jack you need to use ... mic levels !!

So you will have to pad your line levels to make them mic levels.

I would recommend to use the onboard MIC ATT of the GL2 (-20dB) so you will have a quieter audio.

I use a MM-1 preamp with the GL2 which sports a +4dBu line output.

I therefore use a 20dB external pad (3 resistors) so the overall attenuation is 40dB (20dB external + 20 dB internal).

If your line level is on the consumer range (-10dBV) you may probably need only a 6-10dB pad.

Of course the above values only work if you have selected the onboard MIC ATT. If not you will have to add 20dB more to your pad (but again keep the MIC ATT enabled, it gives a much better sound).

Dany
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 12:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Dany,
You seem to know your stuff. So I have a quick question for you. Hopefully you can answer this. If not thats ok. I have a MA-300 connected to my GL2 and I use a ME66. What setting should I have the GL2 on, MIC ATT or just normal? Thanks!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 01:17 AM   #5
Old Boot

Scott, good question - me too please! Just done a wedding - want to make sure I've got sound up to spec. with my Senni and MA300
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 03:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Dany and Rob!!! I'll try it next time, although I find it funny that you can't input line audio while filming?? Oh well!

Thanks again guys
Tim Ashbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 06:01 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I don't know very well the MA-300 (I don't have one) but if I remember it's a passive adapter (no amplification) like other Beachtek and StudioPro.
Using the ME-66 with such adapters and MIC ATT is not a problem as the ME-66 is so generous (hot).
I used to connect my ME-66 directly to the mic input and it was very easy to clip the audio.

If you had you mic selection set to normal (no MIC ATT) last time it shouldn't be a problem.

That's why I like so much my MM-1 pre-amp because it will limit the signal to avoid any clipping (too bad when recording digital) and also allows me to turn the gain knob on the GL2 all the way down to avoid as much as possible to use the internal pre-amp stage.

Yes, recording line level would have been the best but on this price range it's all about compromises (remember it's a 20x optical zoom !)

Dany
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders