replacement for GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Major Player

replacement for GL2?

Why has the GL2 seen such a long product cycle? Is a replace due to come out? I want to sell my GL2 and I'm surprised that the street price today is actually a bit higher than what I paid for almost 3 years ago.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

well as you may have noticed, alot of people are still buying it (including me)
and I had to wait a few weeks till the next shipment was there, so I guess.. :)
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Why has the GL2 seen such a long product cycle?
Because the GL2 is a successful product that people like and want to use. Given the rise in HD, the GL2 probably represents the end of development for higher end Canon SD-only camcorders. I would be surprised if Canon introduced a SD-only replacement model in the same sense that the GL2 replaced the GL1. However, as long as sales are strong, it will remain in the product line.

The price has held in part due to the changing relationship of the dollar to other currencies, and the price compared to competition camcorders.

One could argue that the nominal successor to the GL2 in the Canon prosumer line is the XH-A1. This is based on the fact that it retained a similar form factor to the GL2 and was positioned a step below their flagship camcorder (the XL-H1). However, IMHO the XH-A1 it is as major a step forward from the GL2 as the XL1/GL1 were from the Canon L2.

That the selling price has held is good for you if you plan to sell yours and move to a new camcorder, but as always, buying a new camcorder is a business decision - and it usually is best to buy when you need it, not many months in advance of a hoped-for need.
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

great advice

Don,

What a brillant piece of advice!!!!

"and it usually is best to buy when you need it, not many months in advance of a hoped-for need"

Otherwise collecting equipment becomes a disease!!!!

I am going to staple it on my wall!!!!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5
New Boot

I'd love to see an update for the GL2, but it is a good product (aside from the cassette problem) and for the money it's a great camera, one of the best buys for the quality. If they do update it, I presume it won't be much different.
Jack Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders