DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL1/GL2 new user-- forgot something (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/11407-gl1-gl2-new-user-forgot-something.html)

Skip Frederiksen June 28th, 2003 11:54 PM

GL1/GL2 new user-- forgot something

Hey guys.. I read on one of these threads that the GL2's image stabilization is horrible and basically non-existent. i'm certainly hoping this is not the case. The GL1's works great. Why would the GL2's be worse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-S

Scott Silverman June 29th, 2003 12:08 AM

I find my GL2's Image Stabilization to be fine. Seems to work well for removing all the "high frequency" bumps and vibrations. No image stabilization will keep your image 100% steady. Make sure you turn it off though when you are panning on a tripod. Maybe some other users could post their impressions of the GL2's image stabilization.

Graham Bernard June 29th, 2003 12:52 AM

Scott - I have had to re-train myself to not go further than 1/4 zoom - I'm now up to about 1/3 zoom. Yup, no or little panning. OIS works for me. Needs to be handled with care and used where it is appropriate.

Grazie

Vince Skinner June 29th, 2003 09:16 AM

I don't see anything wrong with my gl2's OIS. Now, when my mom uses my camera, the OIS doesn't work that well. :) But when I use it, it works like it should!

V

Rob Easler June 29th, 2003 10:49 AM

I have the GL1 and the GL2. If you want a comparison of the stabilization between the two I will give it. Unless someone owns both cameras don't bother commenting on this judgement. By itself the GL2 stabilization is fine but there is a slight difference in my opinion between the stabilization of the GL1 and GL2. Of course no two models of camera can be exactly the same and at full zoom anything will be shaky. However as a reference point, on a handheld shot at full zoom the stabilizer in the GL1 is just a bit smoother in its reactions. The movement flows just slightly better that the GL2. This could be in the mechanism itself. I think it might be but it could also be partly related to the fact that there is a different balance and weight center between the two cameras. The GL1 is shorter and it's weight is more in the center of the camera. The GL2 is a bit longer and the weight distribution tends to allow more rocking type motion. Again there probably is nothing really wrong with the stabilization in the GL2, it's just that compared to the GL1 the GL1 just seems to have a slight edge in that department.

Graham Bernard June 29th, 2003 01:05 PM

Rob, you say full zoom GL1 is smoother than the GL2. On the XM[GL]2 the zoom is 20x - what's the GL1 full zoom value?

Grazie

Rob Easler June 29th, 2003 02:40 PM

Just a bit smoother and they are both 20x.