Should I sell my GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 9th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I sell my GL2

I bought it about 3 years ago and paid about $2,800 for it. I used it to do a lot of video work but now I am thinking of selling it and here is why. Please tell me if I am wrong but here is what I seem to have noticed.

Everything to me is going to be HD soon making this camera not useful for any promo videos that I do etc. Also it seem the camcorders have really come down in price and have more features. I just bought a small panasonic camcorder GS320 I think it was and it is 3 ccd etc and it was just 500 bucks vs the almost 3 grand that I paid for the GL2.

To me the GL2 is like a big screen projection TV and now everything has gone to plasma and LCD and if you didn't get rid of your projection TV early enough it's hard to even give it away.

So, should I sell my GL2 and use that money towards an HD camera in the future?
Jason Simpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

in few words : Yes, i did it and i am glad i did.

That said, a GS320 is nowhere as good as a GL2 IMO.

I sold my GL2 and replace it by a HC1 a few months after and i never looked back.

Good luck

Philippe
Philippe Messier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Wrangler

If you need a HD camcorder now, go for it. If you do not need it now, historically speaking, the prices will drop and/or you will find more features or quality in the future for the same money if you wait. But then used camcorder prices fall too.

As to selling the GL2 - go for it if it makes sense to do so, either you have a good business reason to do so (i.e., your clients want HD and will pay for it), or you just want to because it is burning a hole in your camcorder case and you just gotta have a newer camcorder.

By the way, if your clients are home users (e.g., wedding business) how many have HD playback capability? Do you have HD editing and authoring capability? Blu-Ray is still rather pricey for most homes.

Either way we cannot tell you what you should do.
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah the GS320 I would say has the same quality but it is only 10x zoom does not have near the features but really I don't need all those features. I am not doing any mic stuff etc. I like the GS320 because it is 3ccd and very easy to move around. I bought a wide angle lense for it.

It was so great to use at the Sema show rather then having to haul around my GL2. Also I like being able to record and shoot a photo at the same time.

I am thinking of selling the GL2 for about 1,000? Anyone know what it might go for or what they are going for used. Mine has been serviced 2 times and in good shape. One of those services was for that eject tape thing.
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #5
Wrangler

Check E-Bay and other auction/used gear forums for the going prices used in a private sale prices. Some retailers, e.g.; B&H, might take it in on a trade.

Consider the HV20 or just announced HV30 if looking for something small and HDV at a modest price point. Visit the HC10/HV30/HC30 forum to see what users think.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info.
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Jason,

I hope im not to new to jump here, but i just recently purchased a new GL2, I am very new to filmmaking so i have lots of questions. I paid around 1700 bucks for it.

I did a lot of research before i purchased the GL2, I too was thinking about the HD thing vs Standard defination.

The deciding factor for me was the fact that I was only making videos for viewing primarely on PCs, then I was told that even if i capture in HD the only way someone can view in HD is via Blu Ray or if the camera was hooked directly to the HDTV.

That being said, I travel from the Midwest USA to China and the GL2 is a little bulky to be transporting in my carry on so i have my sights set on the HV20 right now, plus i like the look of more then one camera angle when im shooting a video.

So I try to buy for what i need today, not what I MIGHT need down the road.. I am one that is seduced by technology so the latest and greatest is always cool too! (thats why i need to research the HV30 now)

Hope this helps...
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM   #8
New Boot

I also purchased my GL2 for PC viewing (short films) where HD isn't an issue. I'd say if you do broadcast style work you may want (need) an HD camera. You may also want to get a really good HD camera rather than a cheap one, it may be wise to wait until prices get down to what a GL2 would have been a few years back.
Jack Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #9
New Boot

Been at my wits end on this issue. My reasons are two-fold:
1. The very clear and present domination by HD
2. My error in purchasing an NTSC GL2 instead of PAL

Though I have learnt to bring out the best in my GL2. The overheads especially in render time is massive trying to get conversion to PAL. Maybe I would have been a strong advocate for the GL2 if I had a PAL version.
But I've run through a whole lot of research (not hands-on) on the XH A1 and I think it's the replacement in the contemporary for the GL2.
But how to go about selling the GL2 and purchasing the XH A1 isnt that straight-forward for me. There is no Canon presence in my country (Nigeria) known to me. I actually took advantage of a friend's visit to Canada to purchase the GL2 early last year (that explains the NTSC format) and the nearest source for a new cam will be the UK (I know PAL cams are available there).
Sony is the in-thing in my country but I'm a Canon person. So I want to stick to Canon no matter what.
Is there any ray of hope out there for me? Or I'm gonna be saddled with my predicament as it is for some longer time?
Dotun Adesida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Major Player

If you have an XH-A1, even if you got an NTSC version, you can upgrade/crossgrade to PAL, and use both. I did it on my camera. It's expensive, but if you want the flexibility or get a really good deal on an NTSC camera, the option is there. I don't know if Canon offers the same service on the GL2.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #11
Wrangler

Sponsor B&H Photo Video might be an option for a trade-in. They handle both PAL and NTSC systems.
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I bought my XM2 also pretty recently and I am glad I did not buy a smaller HD camera, wouldn't have used it anyway.. (at least now)
Old April 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Now that there are many web sites out there that allow you to show HD footage in addition to SD, that might be more reason to get an HD cam right? I see some of the reasons here not to switch is because of primarily PC viewing.
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Don't forget the PC, plus software upgrades for HD it's pricey.
If you have the budget go for it if not the gl-2 is a great camera way better than any camera for 500.00
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Yes, sell the Canon, and ASAP. Every day that goes by means more, better, cheaper, wide-screen, sharper HDV camcorders come on the market. Just look at Canon's MV20 - outshines the GL2 in almost every department and in most of them trounces the older cam.

So sell it before the general public notice this. And know that this time next year the camera will be almost impossible to sell (except to a Bulgarian).

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders