DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Image Download problems... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/11477-image-download-problems.html)

Joshua Badour July 1st, 2003 12:43 AM

Image Download problems...

Hey. I'm kinda new here...

To let you know, I'm 14, and bought a GL-2 with my own money. So if I say anything stupid, or have any questions, Im just getting used to the camera.

I installed the digital video solution disk, and all that went well. But then I had to install the DVC Storage Driver.

It said the "found new hardware" dialogue will only appear once. Well, I accidentaly clicked out of it.

Now, I have no clue how to install the storage driver. I've tried accessing the hard drive and activating the CD, but all that keeps coming up is the Video Solution Disk.

So then I tried just going to zoombrowser and trying to import a picture (I was desperate at this point) from there. Well, that obviously didn't work...

I need to get some stills to my writer, but I can't until I figure this out.

Help would be great. Thanks!!

Chris Hurd July 1st, 2003 06:57 AM

This isn't a solution, but an alternate way to get stills into your computer. Simply get yourself an SD card reader, about $20 from your local discount store / computer or photo store. No drivers required (depending on how old your computer is). Hope this helps,

Chris Fangio July 1st, 2003 07:20 AM

Chris,

I think this is not a advantageous and cheap solution as the GL2 doesn't need a special driver, too. So you'll have no advantage when buying a SD card reader. The GL2s SD card is supported as a mass storage device in Windows ME/2000/XP.

All Joshua's got to do is to go into the device manager (if you don't know how to get there I'll describe it) and remove the "unknown device" (as it should appear in the device manager). Windows will ask for the driver at next reboot and with the GL2 connected and in card position. Then the GL2 will be accessible as a disk drive and you don't even need to use the Canon software to transfer your stills.

Chris

Joshua Badour July 1st, 2003 08:26 AM

I'll search, but I have no clue how to get to the "device manager"

So are you saying that that once I delete the "unknown file" I can install it again?

Chris Fangio July 1st, 2003 12:25 PM

Which version of MS Windows are you using? XP?

And yes, if you delete the "unknown device" which is marked with a "?" in the device manager you can install it again.

Alex Knappenberger July 1st, 2003 01:13 PM

If your using XP. The device manager is here:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager.

It's the same on 2000, I think, but a little different on earlyer versions of windows.

I'm 14 too, wish I could afford a GL2, :D.

Joshua Badour July 2nd, 2003 09:10 PM

I'm not seeing an "unknown device" whjere would it be? All I see it a list of "floppy disk" "mouses" etc.

ugh... This is frustrating, lol...

Chris Fangio July 2nd, 2003 11:22 PM

Hi Joshua,

you'll have to connect your camera and set it to PLAY (VCR) and CARD position. And you'll have to turn it on ... <lol> Then your Canon should appear in the devicer manager as an unknown device (because you didn't install the driver and your system doesn't know how to handle your cam). The symbold for this device is a yellow questionmark.

Chris

Joshua Badour July 3rd, 2003 07:33 AM

Ok...

I found the device manager and all that, but when I got to it, all it said was "Canon DVC" with a "!" mark in yellow over the image.

Chris Fangio July 3rd, 2003 09:23 AM

Joshua,

this is great ! Just remove this device. Windows will ask for the driver next time you start your computer. Or you can double click on "Canon DVC" and select "driver" -> update driver -> specify location (2nd choice).

Hope this is correct for the english version of Windows as I'm using the german version.

Chris

John Lee July 13th, 2003 03:39 PM

Nevermind...

I was having problems, but it was because I was trying to use the firewire connection to import photos.

Joshua Badour July 16th, 2003 01:31 PM

Chris,

I did that, and it said "finding components to install new hardware" or something like that. Anyways, nothing ever loaded.

I checked back in the control panel tab, and there was the "Canon DVC" with a "!" over it again, even after I deleted it once.

Any clue?

John Lee July 16th, 2003 03:04 PM

Josh, are you using the USB cable or the firewire?

You've described exactly the problem I was having. Drove me nuts for about half an hour. Then I hooked in the USB connector instead of the firewire and it finally installed correctly.

Joshua Badour July 17th, 2003 07:32 AM

Ya, I am using the supplied USB cable...

Anyone got any other ideas?

Chris Fangio July 17th, 2003 08:04 AM

Josh,

have you tried to update the driver in the device manager as described earlier? There you can specify the location of your Canon driver.

Chris