DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Tape care (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/11479-tape-care.html)

Justin Morgan July 1st, 2003 03:41 AM

Tape care

I know there must have been lots of threads about this before but using the search function brings up a MASSIVE array of posts. I know there is a FAQs section on its way - a superb idea!

I have read a few posts in the past (and using search) but do not really have ALL the informatoin I want close to hand. I just wanted to get things clarified. So, my question is - what is good general practice for getting the best out of DV tapes?

Should I run a new tape through the camera (Fforward and then Rewind) before using it, take the tape out of the camera after a shoot, rewinding them after use (however this means having to wind forward to the end of the last shot each time I want to use the tape). Sticking with one brand. Using a new tape for important work. Keeping rewinding etc to a minimum (this conflicts with argument for rewinding the tape after each use). Plus any other useful information etc etc etc etc.

Many thanks.

Bud Kuenzli July 1st, 2003 09:35 AM

tape care

no science here...just reflecting what I've heard and experienced...

Try to stick with one brand. Only shoot in normal speed (don't use long play mode). If you have a deck, run the tape forward and then reverse it if you wish, but I've never seen any real data to back this up as necessary. Might as well black and code it while you do that, but don't bother doing it on your camera since the wear to the heads probably outweighs any benefit to the tape. Don't rewind the tape every time you use it. Leave it where it was until it is filled, then rewind it. Use new tapes, of course. If you're really on a budget you certainly can re-use tapes but I wouldn't do so for any professional work since they are cheap when you are getting paid. I reuse tapes all the time for family things.

Bob Benkosky July 2nd, 2003 12:55 AM

That's cool

However, which are the best tapes for our camera's anyhow???

I've seen some really expensive Sony's with somekind of IC ship in them. They are supposed to be very durable. They are really expensive though.

What is the consensus on tape brand on here? My camera arrives Thursday.

Don Palomaki July 2nd, 2003 04:45 AM

The tape cassette memory chip is of value only if your camcorder makes use of it. The XL1 and GL1 do not make use of it, so it may well be a waste of money if you do not have other machines that use it..

I've been satisfied with Panasonic brand tape.

Devin Doyle July 2nd, 2003 08:21 PM

I've always stuck with Sony and have never had any problems. I use the DVM-60's on my GL1 and am always satisfied. I forget if it was mentioned above but store the tapes upright and never flat. Also always take the tapes out whenever not in use. No sense in stretching tape when you don't have to. Good luck with the new cam!

Jack Robertson July 2nd, 2003 08:42 PM

Re: Tape Care

Hi There,

I work in the broadcast industry and winding tapes forwards and then rewinding them back is called repacking the tapes. It is necessary to do this if you use one tape in one spot all the time (ie: record on the first 5 minutes and then rerecord on the same spot and play back on the same spot). Repacking loosens the tape to its normal state as it was when first bought. The properway to repack is to rewind all the wat to the head, then fast forward to the end of tape and then rewind back to head again.

it is hard to determine when to repack a tape, then only way to really know is whe you get drop outs on the vision. When this happens, the drive system is strugling to transport the tape in the camera as its hard to move due to the tape being hard to turn.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jack

Luke Gates July 9th, 2003 07:41 AM

wow...I didn't know that. I don't think it has an effect on our prosumer GL/sony VX cams. But who, knows...I'm sure you have more experience than I.

Jesper Hallen July 10th, 2003 08:22 AM

always store your tapes up-standing, like you store books for example, that's best for the tapes.