shotgun mic with light?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 7th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #16
Regular Crew

so if i use the setup said.. xlr box under, and light and mic in shoe.. can i get somethign that goes into the shoe and is a clamp to hold a mic? i dont want the canon mic, i wanna use a xlr mic, but i want a xlr box that goes underneath..
Ryan McCrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 12:31 AM   #17
Old Boot

Y'know, you've got to the "same" place I did when I was in the shop, buying my dear little XM2.

I thought, hmmmm... an Audio adaptor [MA300] that has a mic clamp integral with the body. Oh yes, a "cold-shoe" on top of that just right for a light - excellent! Went with the Senni K6/K66 kit and also bought a 20watt Halma Light kit.

What I did not wholly appreciate was:

1 - Light is powered by a separate Ni-Cad battery - yuck!

2 - Light has about 10-20 mins run time - double yuck!

3 - Light isn't SMART - ie doesn't switch off when not needed

4 - VL-10 could have been an option in the top cold shoe

Now I've got a combination of kit that can do :

EITHER

Shotgun work in suitable ambient light conditions

OR

Low light work [ VL-3 lamp in hotshoe ] with no Senni

This leaves me thinking Canon just hasn't "designed" in options:
  • Worked through these options for the user
  • Has a selection of "accessories" that are not very flexible enough to do a job - which IMHO is something that would be of valuable to the prosumer.

Ah yes! The MA300 does not have a switching option.

Will I persist with this set-up? Guess I will. Thought of Aaron's VL-10 set-up. But the option of sticking the VL-10 into the MA300 does not thrill me. The Rover maybe a possibility. But I'm still stuck with my investment in the MA300 - do I now "shelve" this item? I also don't really like the idea of bolting on a Beehie underneath the XM2 - Sorry chaps not
for me. My opinion - Canon should rather pull their socks up and rather "design-in" solutions for this, and not just provide "accessories" from other models. The MA300 is almost there. It has "other" benefits of the BNC and the option for a "further" mic to be slid into the cold shoe. It does state that the cold shoe is "ONLY FOR MICROPHONE" - this is "pressed" into the plastic - they must mean it!

Now, what might be a solution would be for a "Duplex" type of hotshoe accessory to power BOTH the VL-3 and the MA300. But that's another story . ..

Hey, one lives and learns . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 01:21 AM   #18
Major Player

Ah Ha!

I think I might have a solution, although it might be pricey.

Buy the Century Optic Mattebox. It has on it a accessory shoe. Now, put your light into the Canon shoe on the camera, then mount your microphone into the accessory shoe on the mattebox. You could even use an adapter to offset the mic to the side so it doesn't interfer with the path of light. Your XLR adapter would be on the bottom of the camera. The upside to this is you get a mattebox and a very cool looking camera, the downside is the price and possibly the size (if that much size makes a differance to you).

Century Optics Mattebox:
http://www.centuryoptics.com/product...boxes/dvmb.htm
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 01:47 AM   #19
Old Boot

I suspect, your valuable reply is in reference to Ryan, rather than I, with the MA300 - yeah? If it was for me, then I'd have the extra expense of an additional XLR box - yes?

Visited the website - read the PDF - found a "supplier" in West London. I'll check them out anyway.

Much appreciated,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 02:04 AM   #20
Major Player

Grazie,
Yeah that reply was mainly geared toward Ryan. I thought and thought, but could not think of a solution to your problem. I actually have the MA300 as well, but lucky for me I have never needed a light mounted on my camera. I love the MA300 and it looks so great on the camera when I have my ME66 mounted in the MA300! Whats the longest distance of cable you have been able to run to your MA300 without getting interferance or signal loss? Thanks!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 02:27 AM   #21
Old Boot

Scott!!!! What time is it there in Calif???

Anway, yes, I thought that was the case. And yes, the XM2 looks really cool with the set-up. But, when I wanna do short, audible interviews at a Wedding Event, in sometimes grain-making talking head environments, a bit of lift - VL3 does do it - the ambient mic can get a very confused audio signal. Length of cable? - Can't help. I do believe there was a very earlier on debate about this. - Scott do a search . . . I know this was breached sometime back though.

Thanks for the "I thought and thought, but could not think of a solution to your problem. " concern . . .

Good to speak with you again,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders