DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   S-video input with microphone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/115942-s-video-input-microphone.html)

Paul Firth February 28th, 2008 06:09 AM

S-video input with microphone?

I'm trying to do a simple video with my GL-2. I want to capture a laptop screen out of the S-video port and then use a microphone to record my voice as I do work on the computer.

I get the video output just fine: Select Play on the camcorder, have the video out set up on the laptop, and the video records great to tape.

However, I can't seem to get any microphone to work. I've tried it using the Audio Dub with both Audio In and Mic In. Neither works. I've tried auto vs. manual recording level. Nada. I've tried using the internal microphone, a microphone with a 1/8" mini plug into the mic jack, and also an xlr mic using the MA-300 adapter. Nothing gives me an audio signal.

Any ideas?

Graham Bernard February 28th, 2008 06:42 AM

Any ideas?

Yeah, make it simpler.

Capture back the TAPE and do a V/O on the timeline of an NLE.

This ways you got loadsa control. You can do loadsa takes and pick out what you want. You do have an NLE on your PC? Or you could play back on your PC and do the V/O .. many takes if youi want . .and capture-back THAT to the timeline too.

I think when you audio dub to the XM2 you would have needed to have select 8-bit or 12-bit. Then ONE of the stereo channels gets used as the DUB? You can tell I haven't tried this, but I bet others will put me right here!

Grazie

Paul Firth February 28th, 2008 07:51 AM

I agree that would be easier. Another reason I would like to try to record audio is that I also do some videography of live presentations with power point. I have done extensive editing of splicing in the speaker/video with the slides. But if I could easily tape the power point presentation with audio, so I could get a quick easy sync with the presenter's video, that would make the editing very fast. I could just drop in both timelines into Premiere and do live switching back and forth. This would also make it look better when the presenter has video playing on the laptop with his PP preentation.

Chris Hurd February 28th, 2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Firth (Post 834527)
However, I can't seem to get any microphone to work.

Mic inputs are not available in VCR mode.

Paul Firth February 28th, 2008 08:34 AM

GRRRRR!!!

oh well, thanks anyways guys.

Don Palomaki February 28th, 2008 08:35 AM

An approach: When in VCR mode, run your mic through a modest priced mic preamp or mixer and connect the line output of the preamp/mixer to the analog audio input of the GL2. See the diagram on page 101 of the NTSC manual, the RCA audio connectors of the STV-250N cable would connect to the mixer/preamp line level output. Note that some wireless mics have line level output capability.

The Radio Shack 32-2056 for $30 might work.